Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

legacy 1.8L 16valve into EA82 bolt patter??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 habib99

habib99

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Wales UK

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:41 AM

hi, anyone know if the bolt pattern is the same for the EA82T and the 16valve injection 1.8L legacy engine? In fact does anyone know if the 1.8L 16 valve fuel injected engine is an EA82 block as I've never heard of ??EJ18??

thanks for any info

#2 gravelRX

gravelRX

Driven with both feet.

• Members
  • 885 posts
  • Roanoke, VA

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:11 AM

no. Make an adapter plate out of aluminum. 1/2" thick. Use redrilled EA flywheel with EA clutch assembly. Everything lines up. Do a search. Good Luck. Wiring is the bear.

Jay

#3 habib99

habib99

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Wales UK

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:33 PM

hi, anyone know if the bolt pattern is the same for the EA82T and the 16valve injection 1.8L legacy engine? In fact does anyone know if the 1.8L 16 valve fuel injected engine is an EA82 block as I've never heard of ??EJ18??

thanks for any info

thanks -sounds do-able one way or another. shame it involves drilling and plate making but not the end of the world :)

#4 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:44 PM

not too difficult i didnt think..........wiring is the hard part.

~Josh~

#5 PoorManzImpreza

PoorManzImpreza

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • BARBADOS

Posted 07 June 2005 - 09:16 PM

FHI made carburetted ej18s as well if, they're available in UK...unless your heart is set on EFI

#6 habib99

habib99

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Wales UK

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:20 PM

FHI made carburetted ej18s as well if, they're available in UK...unless your heart is set on EFI

thanks for pointing this out and I've now found a carburetted 1.8 legacy engine so should be in for a much easier wiring experience!

.....so am I right in thinking that the ej18 is the same bolt pattern/flywheel as all the other ejs 2L up to 3.5L but that the EA82 OHC is different and so is the EA81 OHV?

thanks again - you guys have saved me a potential wiring nightmaire -having already encountered one I'm very happy to avoid another!

#7 Tbird Man

Tbird Man

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Boone

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:39 PM

thanks for pointing this out and I've now found a carburetted 1.8 legacy engine so should be in for a much easier wiring experience!

.....so am I right in thinking that the ej18 is the same bolt pattern/flywheel as all the other ejs 2L up to 3.5L but that the EA82 OHC is different and so is the EA81 OHV?

thanks again - you guys have saved me a potential wiring nightmaire -having already encountered one I'm very happy to avoid another!

all EJ motors are the same boltpattern but somedifferences in clutch /flywheel that are easily mixed and matched to work. I have never heard of a 3.5, you mean the EJ33?

#8 habib99

habib99

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Wales UK

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:18 PM

all EJ motors are the same boltpattern but somedifferences in clutch /flywheel that are easily mixed and matched to work. I have never heard of a 3.5, you mean the EJ33?

must be 33 -my mistake, learning all the time
:D

#9 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:58 AM

if your puttin in a motor, goin with a carb is not the coolest thing.

wiring an efi motor is no big deal.

#10 habib99

habib99

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Wales UK

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:28 AM

if your puttin in a motor, goin with a carb is not the coolest thing.

wiring an efi motor is no big deal.

I know it shouldnt be a big deal and I thought if I put my mind to it I would be able to do it but all the wires and all the plugs on the EA82T that I have are confusing me -especially because I dont seem to be able to find a wiring diagram that matches properly -probably because I'm using an ecu and from a different year to the motor -I think I will post a seperate thread asking for help with this.

as for the ej18 carb - I found a good priced motor and got it so for my next project I will probably go that way -but you never know if I manage to sort the EFI control out on the EA82T then I may go to EFI on the EJ engine too -could always sell the EJ18 on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users