Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2005 Outback on the beach?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 strman

strman

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • wilmington

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:28 PM

Hi,
I'm new to this board and am considering a 2005 Outback to replace my gas guzzler Jeep. Can anyone tell me how the new 2005 Outbacks do on the beach and how I can expect it to pull compared to my Grand Cherokee?
The salesmen in this area don't seem to have a clue about what they are selling.
Thanks!

#2 drewd

drewd

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Freehold

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:39 PM

The only time i've seen an outback on the beach was when it was riding on the bed of a wrecker. Seriously, though, it depends on the beach and how soft the sand it. Either way, you need to air down and go slow. You're going to lose even more ground clearance on a vehicle that has little already, so beware.

NET: Depends on the beach and how soft the sand is.

#3 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,588 posts
  • Texas

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:24 PM

The only time i've seen an outback on the beach was when it was riding on the bed of a wrecker. Seriously, though, it depends on the beach and how soft the sand it. Either way, you need to air down and go slow. You're going to lose even more ground clearance on a vehicle that has little already, so beware.

I once read that on the dunes, when the big Fords and Dodges are stuck, the soobs go swimming up trhu the sand to pull 'em out! maybe cause they're lighter? I dunno.

Carl

#4 Suzam

Suzam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,191 posts
  • Wilmington, Delaware

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:09 PM

I had our 2001 OBW LTD on the beach at OBX last year. Put the tires down to 20 psi and went fishing with a friend who had a Mazda 4x4 pickup. No problems, and my friend was quite suprized, as was I, by the way the subie handle the sand. I'm still kicking myself for not take along my camera. :banghead:

Used a portable air compressor to bring the tires back up to the standard pressure after we finished.

#5 mattocs

mattocs

Subaru Legacy Lover

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:45 PM

When I was in NC my friend tried to drive his Ford Tempo on the sand...he didn't even make it to the beach before he got stuck.

I think a Subaru would be fine...just let some air out of the tires.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,682 posts
  • WV

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:05 PM

and when the cv joints break, stay away from the sand and replace them immediately. sand ruined mine in a matter of minutes.

#7 jamal

jamal

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,015 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:00 PM

You're going to lose even more ground clearance on a vehicle that has little already, so beware.

Well, the 05 Outback does have between 8.4 and 8.7" of ground clearance, which isn't much less than an Explorer (9.2) or Jeep Liberty (8.9). It has more than an MDX (8.0) or Highlander (7.7).

#8 mikem

mikem

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • greensboro

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:09 AM

I've had my 04 outback out on the outer banks seveal times. used 16psi after several higher pressures. Got more sand in the upper engine compartment than i thought would happen. Had to use several deep tracks and the low clearance scraped up the sand.

#9 Brumby Boy

Brumby Boy

ozzy subaru nut

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • Tsvl, QLD, Australia

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:18 AM

Had my stock 92 brat on the beach here with cheese cutters at 34psi didnt have a problem. i dont see y u would have a problem if you used some common sense with the outback

#10 RTR

RTR

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Raleigh

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:05 PM

subarus do pretty well on the obx unless it's been super dry. even then, the only real challenge is getting down to the harder packed sand. lighter weight helps make up for the lack of clearance/tire width.

#11 daehttub2000

daehttub2000

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:49 PM

I use my old AWD Legacy to launch my boat at the beach during the summer. The lake level is low so the boat ramp ends and I have about 15 yards of really deep soft dry sand before I hit 10 yards of harder pack sand. I've seen a bunch of cars get stuck including a Blazer after they see me go down to the water.

Don't spin your wheels (you'll just bury yourself or overheat your diff). Easy on the gas. Use common sense, and the lightweight Legacy will do just fine. A manual helps and I do have snow tires on (it's my winter and beach car).

#12 Dickensheets

Dickensheets

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LOVELAND

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:20 PM

My 97 does well. Try to avoid windy dry days - sand will get into all the places it shouldn't. A wet or rainy day is best. Also stay around 10-15mph. If you park for lunch or something, put the tail into the wind if there is any. If the sand is soft and dry park on a hill to aid in starting, this will save your clutch or tranny.

Sand is bad stuff, but fun.

rd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users