Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

found an easy exhaust manifold bolt fix

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dragonwingsubaru

dragonwingsubaru

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • englewood

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:30 PM

well after listening to my sooby sounding horrible for about a month, i finally decided to get around to fixing it. what had happened is i had managed to strip out 1 bolt hole on each side. well the other day i dug into my coffee can of bolts from when i had stripped my 87 and found 2 brass looking bolts with a double washer setup on them and a slightly tapered end. (im not possative but i think they were from the rear tow hooks) anyways they threaded right into the holes and snugged up real nicely and stopped the exhaust leak completely. i gotta take off my tow hooks tomorow to bolt up my trailer hitch, so ill check out the bolts and see if that was where those bolts were from.

#2 TurboSPFI

TurboSPFI

Banned

• Banned
  • 374 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:32 PM

Ah the random bolt trick... Doesn't work all the time :D

#3 markjs

markjs

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Port Townsend, WA

Posted 31 July 2005 - 08:21 PM

The best fix I found for this same problem is to take a 7/16th tap (assuming the original was a 10mm diameter bolt) and tap out the stripped hole with it. Works perfect with no drill or pricey Heli-coil. I used a fine thread (7/16-14) and used a dual thread (fine and course on opposite ends) stud.

#4 chef_tim

chef_tim

Romans 5:8

• Members
  • 4,780 posts
  • Renner, SD

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:02 PM

I do the same thing but with 3/8 exhaust studs. Works great

#5 Tin Soldier

Tin Soldier

Wannabe awesome guy.

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Franklin, PA

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:02 AM

I went to everybodys favorite auto parts store (insert heavy sarcasm here), Advanced, and bought a toyota Corolla manifold kit (you actually need two for a sube). This kit includes two bolts and three exhaust studs.

I tapped the hole using one of the bolts. :brow: Then I put high temp locker on the one end of the stud and high never seize on the side the nut goes on and screwed it up in there. :)

Seemed to work better then the bolt trick. Especially if you want to be able to take your exhuast off for upgrades/oops a rock or something like that.

#6 NewDriverOlderRide

NewDriverOlderRide

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 300 posts
  • Ft. Myers

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:30 AM

Sorry to ressurect such an old thread, but I am in the middle of needing to do this tomorrow, so what is the best way to do it?

Thanks, Tyler

#7 ecky

ecky

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Roseburg, Oregon

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:52 AM

My brother went down to the hardware store, and bought a course threaded SAE bolt a little bit bigger that the hole. Then, took a !/2 impact gun and just pounded it in there:lol: Wouldn't recomend it, but it works.

#8 joostvdw

joostvdw

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • Holland

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:44 AM

just go to a toyota dealer and get some exhaust studs and nuts there, it's the exact same diameter and pitch as subies (M10x1.25) and won't cost you an arm and a leg

just don't screw around with american sizes in there :rolleyes: get the proper bolts or don't bother at all.

#9 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:54 AM

if the threads are stripped out, then supposedly you can tap it out to 7/16" thread of a similar pitch without drilling any further.. just work the tap in 1/4 turn at a time and back it out.. but thats just hearsay. there was a big long hotly debated thread about this that was last posted in oh, say a week or ten days ago. go find that and read it through for all your options. there were like 80 replies.

#10 chef_tim

chef_tim

Romans 5:8

• Members
  • 4,780 posts
  • Renner, SD

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:42 AM

Oh yeah, forgot this too. I think a 1/4 8 point socket will hold the tap so you can put an extention on it and then use a ratchet handel to turn it. Makes it alot easier as your not fighting the tap handle in a confined space. Tim

#11 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:26 AM

toyota bolts are generally x1.00 threads. or was it x1.50? i do know its different. but that makes sense if they thread into soob exhaust holes if they are stripped out

#12 NewDriverOlderRide

NewDriverOlderRide

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 300 posts
  • Ft. Myers

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:20 AM

Well, the manifolds are "semi-stripped." So I guess Im gonna try the 7/16 tap thing......Hopefully, my buddy has a tap.:-\

#13 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,250 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:26 PM

Well, the manifolds are "semi-stripped." So I guess Im gonna try the 7/16 tap thing......Hopefully, my buddy has a tap.:-\

Do the 7/16 studs. That is the best way. Leaves room for a bump up to 12mm or for a helicoil in the future. Don't need to drill, just go slow and careful with the tap. And use lots of oil and don't force it.

#14 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

Do the 7/16 studs. That is the best way. Leaves room for a bump up to 12mm or for a helicoil in the future. Don't need to drill, just go slow and careful with the tap. And use lots of oil and don't force it.

Yah, I was just repeating what I had heard gloyale say in a previous post. listen to him, not me; I havent been there or done that. I was just tryin to help :)

#15 operose

operose

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • Potsdam

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:38 PM

I've done it with 7/16" stainless bolts

works fine :banana:

but I'd use studs if I did it over, as I take my exhaust off a lot, and will probably get some studs in the future

#16 Quidam

Quidam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,517 posts
  • USA

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:52 PM

toyota bolts are generally x1.00 threads. or was it x1.50? i do know its different. but that makes sense if they thread into soob exhaust holes if they are stripped out

Hey Miles,

My "Muffler Man" sold me a dozen 10X1.25 studs, nuts and washers. This for Justy exhaust, converter to front pipe, and some spares

He did indicate, I think, that Mazda took the X1.50 and I believe he said most other Asian stuff uses the X1.25. YMMV, of course.

Later

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users