Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

220k EA82T engine rebuild?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 18 September 2003 - 09:46 PM

I'm trying to decide between rebuilding my RX engine or starting with another one. The RX engine has 220k miles on it, a melted timing belt cover case, and a hole in the crossover pipe. I'm guessing it overheated (duh) and someone replaced a head gasket or something.
I'm OK with inspecting and perhaps replacing internals, but i'd like some opinions about using the block and rods and stuff as they're kind of high miles for a turbo, and it would be less work than shopping for a better EA82T engine first. I have some OK looking gen 3 heads I scored at they PY that would go on whatever I build.

Plus, if I start from scratch, I'd like an SPFI block for better compression :headbang: .. won't that be nice under my garaged spider intake! finally got all the parts for the swap :D

So I need to decide what to shop for and everything.. any help? thanks

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 18 September 2003 - 09:56 PM

Screw it.

If the engine you are considering rebuilding is in your car, running, then keep driving it and build another one.. Find a low mile SPFI block and go to town

#3 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 18 September 2003 - 10:16 PM

no, the RX engine is in my secret hiding place, not in a car. If it is still good with a 220k mile block i might just reuse it.

#4 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 19 September 2003 - 07:34 AM

Jon's vote: NA block, gen 3 heads, spider intake, and fab up a new set of down pipes and uppipes. don't forget a BOV and a turbo timer, plus an intercooler... and oh... you also might want... and don't forget... or... or... and then.... (ect.)

The list could go on forever. How simple or complex/expensive do you want to go?

#5 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 19 September 2003 - 09:43 AM

Hi Jon. That's a bad question to ask me :D mwahahaha
I don't want to go too expensive, really, as I'd rather sink serious bucks - assuming I had them - into a WRX engine swap.
But I think for peace of mind I'll need to replace the engine sooner than the actual upgrade will be possible.
Although I could probably sell a hotted-up EA82T to someone here for a reasonable price..
so as far as cost is concerned, the engine I already have is cheaper since I already have it.

#6 toybuilder

toybuilder

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Longmont

Posted 19 September 2003 - 09:49 AM

Unless these engines have been abused they usually only need the "wear" parts replaced (bearings, rings, seals, etc). Take it apart and inspect everything. The cylinder block itself it almost always useable as long as it was never run out of oil. If a piston siezed or a main bearing spun your block is no good. Otherwise chase the head bolt holes in the block with an M11x1.25 tap and hone the cylinders. If your pistons look good get new piston rings. Use high quality rings and make sure that you check the end gap. The rods are just about indestructable. Unless they are obviously damaged or the wrist pin fit is sloppy reuse them. Make sure you have the crank reground and get the appropriate size bearings. 220K really isn't that many miles for an EA82.

#7 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 19 September 2003 - 09:51 AM

coolness, that's what i was looking for. I think the budget will be the ultimate deciding factor as I'd rather do the SPFI-T thing but i needed to know if it was worth the time to deal with the RX engine. thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users