Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifter noise fix EA82 Turbo

Started my race car up today to get it ready for the last race of the season on Sept. 3. Horrible lifter noise! Weird as it was fine last race. Anyway, thought I would share with you how my mechanic (husband) fixed it. This is the second time he has done this and been sucessful. First, off with the valve cover from the side of the offensive noise. Remove bolt (14mm) from the oil tube in the cam which contains spring. He used a magnet to remove spring after bolt was removed. In this case the spring looked weak so we robbbed another from a spare cam. Then he stretched it to 3/16". Insert spring back into hole & reassemble. He uses silicone to reseal the valve cover. Walla, noise gone like magic!! This also raised the oil pressure slightly.

For those of you intrested on how our season has gone so far: After 6 race days, we have 5 trophies & $500.00. One 1st, two 2nds, one 3rd and a first my husband won in the mechanics race. Yes, we are beating up on those Mustangs!! I am in contention for track high point so this last race is a biggy. Would have been way ahead in points if I hadn't blown engine in 3rd race. But that's racing! Engine we used to replace blown one has 216,000 miles on it. Runs great with even more acceleration than before. Our sponsors from 4Seasons Motors Subaru dealership including parts, sevice & sales departments will be attending this last race. Very exciting!!!!!!! We plan on racing one more season then retiring from the stock car racing scene. I am racing a lawn mower also now and have won $150.00 with my go fast rider. We get to race them at the stock car races on a small track in the middle of the regular track during breaks in the car racing program. Much cheaper to race it & lots of fun also. Now I wonder if we can fit a EA82 turbo on the mower???????????:rolleyes:

Here you go subyrally. Need to update picture as we have more trophies now! I would rally mine if we had any of those events around here. A real blast to drive. Another bit of advice, use super heavy duty water hoses to keep that cooling system from failing. We also run a electric fan. Good Luck & have fun!! Oh yeah, we sipe & groove our tires. Makes a big difference in the dirt.

post-6919-136027603255_thumb.jpg

Hey there fellow Idahoan. Where do you race? Been discussing doing a Rally for fun with some friends in the Boise area. A friend has some property up in McCall. We've been thinking of starting in Boise, over Rocky Canyon to Hwy 21, up to Idaho City, Harris Creek road into Horseshoe Bend, Hwy 55 to McCall. Stay the night on his property, then back to Boise the next day via Hwy 95, Hwy 30 and possibly some other twists and turns. Nothing serious, strictly for fun.

Hello KStetch55, We are in the Salmon area. Right now we are pretty tied up with this stock car racing thing until after next season. This Winter I am having my street XT painted and going through engine (may even replace it) to make it road worthy for long trips & yes hopefully a rally. Sounds like fun and really glad to know you guys are trying to get a Rally going within a reasonable distance. Cool. Let me know if this developes. Might be able to at least make it to McCall.

Hey there fellow Idahoan. Where do you race? Been discussing doing a Rally for fun with some friends in the Boise area. A friend has some property up in McCall. We've been thinking of starting in Boise, over Rocky Canyon to Hwy 21, up to Idaho City, Harris Creek road into Horseshoe Bend, Hwy 55 to McCall. Stay the night on his property, then back to Boise the next day via Hwy 95, Hwy 30 and possibly some other twists and turns. Nothing serious, strictly for fun.

No, front wheel drive. No rule that says you have to be rwd in my class. Big advantage over Mustangs. As a matter of fact two more FWD's showed up on the track this year after they saw how well Subie did last year. A 92 turboed Mazda & a Morpar product that I haven't been able to identify. Both are my only real competitors.

are you running that thing in rwd??