Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone ever Polish a windshield?

Wasn't sure where to put this, but since I'm looking to do it to my 95 and 96 Legacys I figured I would post it in here. Both of my Legacy windshields have lots of tiny pits, and what not from over the years, that when in direct sunlight make it nearly impossible to see out. It is becoming very unsafe for me to drive to work at this time of year. So, I found this Glass Polishing Kit from Eastwood that looks like it might help. Has anyone ever done anything like this with sucess?

Thanks,

Keith

I'd expect it would work well for 'haze'. That's usually the biggest issue with visibilty anyway. Likely a cerium oxide polishing agent. It would be hard to screw anyting up with it. If you wanted to practice first, start on the passenger side low and bnear the post. Or get a winshield from the wrecking yard. Don't tlet the runoff harden or it could be difficult to remove. Also, I'd use filtered or distilled water, maybe with 1-2 drops of detergent as a wetting agent, and a new or recently well washed buff - keep it covered up so as not to get contaminated with a dust particle or dirt. Don't do this on a gravel driveway during windy conditions!

Carl

I'm not sure if it was exactly the same kit that you are referring to, but I did use a similar kit to remove some fairly deep scratches from a windshield that the previous owner had used the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup to scrape off the frost with. The scratches were really deep and I didn't get them completely removed, but it made a real improvement.

One caution that I remember from the person that loaned me the kit was to not get the glass too hot when buffing it, as it would cause a problem at the interface between the laminated layers of the safety glass.

Good luck and let us know how it works if you decide to do it.

I'm not sure if it was exactly the same kit that you are referring to, but I did use a similar kit to remove some fairly deep scratches from a windshield that the previous owner had used the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup to scrape off the frost with. The scratches were really deep and I didn't get them completely removed, but it made a real improvement.

One caution that I remember from the person that loaned me the kit was to not get the glass too hot when buffing it, as it would cause a problem at the interface between the laminated layers of the safety glass.

Good luck and let us know how it works if you decide to do it.

They sell another kit that is for scratch removal, but it uses an orbital sander and some pretty agressive stuff. This one is much milder so I'm going to try it first.