Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stereo Wiring, Wiring a Stereo, Old School head unit wiring

WJM

Connector, Stereo side (probably 1986/earl 1987 Spec)

Left Side Ground- Yellow

Right Side Ground- White

RF- Yellow/Red

RR- Grey

LF- Yellow

LR- Yellow/Black

Connector, CAR side (1987 RX)

LS Ground- Blue/Red

RS Ground- Blue/Black

RF- White

RR- White/Blue

LF- Yellow

LR- Yellow/White

There...lol

I just got done wiring in my Pioneer MP3 headunit. Yay!

i hate the stock stereo wiring in the rx, shared grounds suck on speakers.

i found it best to ony use the power and dimmer control wiring in the rx and run proper audio cables to the speakers. i did that when i had a stereo in the rx. it sounded much better than on the stock wiring.

Yeah..modern decks have bridged output amplifiers allowing them to drive speakers at 22 watts rms per channel (don't believe that 45 watts per channel it is peak output @ 10%+ distortion) because the outputs are bridged these decks will at a minimum sound very tinny and at a maximum destroy the output stage if wired to a common ground speaker system, like our old school subs..

My recommendation is to wire fresh wire to the speaker connectors situated under the carpet by where the door harnesses terminate, usually a pink connector, to the back of the head unit, that way the door harnesses remain intact and you don't have a naked wire to pull through the door gromets..I also recommend drawing power directly from the battery to the head unit with a 15 amp fuse in line, then using the existing switched wire to the units ignition inputs, usually a blue wire with a yellow stripe..

just my two cents..