Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The '79 GF story

bbbs53

Hi fellow Subaru fanatics. I rented a 3/4 ton truck that was supposed to have a receiver hitch in it to go and get the GF. It was dark when I picked up the truck, and I didn't look. Mistake number one. Next, when I figured out what had happened, 300 miles from starting point, I thought, I'll just get a ball and a dolly and drag it home. Mistake number two. When I got to screw-haul, they informed me that they can not let a dolly leave on a bumper mounted ball, which I knew, but thought I would try anyway. So I inquired about a tow bar. They don't rent them anymore, but will gladly sell you one for a mere 150.00, and checked their computer and assured me it would bolt directly to a '79 GF. Mistake number 3. I then went to where the car was. It was fried from the sun and had a foo foo can spray job covering cracking bondo everywhere. The bumper in these cars is the spring loaded piles that the government made all the car companies put on cars about that time. It was not connected solidly to the frame. The mount holes are through the top of the bumper which totally rulled out using the screw-haul guaranteed to fit tow bar.:moon: Now I was really tired and pissed off. So I set to work stripping all the parts I could get off and loading them into the truck. I got tailights, grille, turnsignals, wheels, emblems, disty, coil unit, window waser, etc, etc. I thanked the man and went back to s-haul and returned the towbar. When they were unloading it, they neglected to remove the box with the pins and brackets and bolts. All they removed was the ball and the hitch. So I got that going for me. The wiring under the dash was fried, which is why they could not start it with the key. It can be had, but if anyone wants it, let me know pronto. It is in Melba Idaho, which is in the middle of nowhere southern Idaho. It was too much for me, so I came back. Parts included if anyone wants it. That is pretty much the story, it was a long 36 hours, but a nice try. I would do it again to rescue something worth rescuing. Thanks, Bradd:dead:

Hi, you sure do. At one time, it was spark blue, now it is spray can gray. It has a nice sunbaked interior, of which, the plastic is wood grained as usual. It has 51,000 on the clock, but could be 151,000 or who knows. There were a lot of wires dangling under the dash. The front seats were there, but loose and the back one was fried by the sun. It has cracks coming through the bondo in the right rear quarter. It does run. It is in Melba Idaho, say didn't I write all this already? If you are really interested, fire me off an email and I will enlighten you, Bradd:banghead:

Hi Todd, I have those panels in my hot little hands, well actually they are in the shed with the rest of the stuff. Please don't get me wrong, I know what to expect when I look at a 180.00 dollar car. You roll the dice and take your chances. It just as easily could have been the score of the year. In this case, it wasn't. I don't blame anyone for anything. I failed to check the truck out before I left. That caused the dominos to start to fall. I take full responsibility. I wish it would have had another conclusion, and if the car had been worth saving, I would have had a hitch installed on the truck, and brought it back anyway. It was a judgement call, and I have no regrets. The man with the car had a bunch of cars, no other Subarus, and he was fairly accurate, but doesn't know anything about Subarus. For where he lives and where he is at, it was a great car. For us, looking for that gem that we know is out there, it was to far gone. There is nothing that can't be restored. However, with all the better candidates out there in need, it is far better to spend your time on a better target. I am affraid that soon, there will only be Brats, hatch's, and a few wagons. Of course they were and are the most sold. The offer still stands, but how long it will be there, I can not say. If there is anyone even thinking about it, time is slipping away, Bradd