Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester keeps up with trucks in the Snow

Forester_Ranger

Took my Forester up to Bohemia Pass last Saturday with a group of co-workers. They had 2 lifted Toyota's and a Dodge Ram. We made it to the top of the pass. The Dodge Ram was leading and got stuck a couple of times. I was right behind the Dodge in my 4" lifted Forester. I Never got stuck. It just plowed through anything the other trucks went through. The 2 Toyotas where behind me. the single cab got stuck several times. We ran into a couple other groups as well. Didn't see any other Subaru's. click on link to see pictures.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/792800/9

Those are great photos, looks like you had lots of fun. I am just wondering what kept the Forester from getting stuck, while the big trucks seemed to have trouble. The trucks, with more ground clearance, and bigger tires should have had an advantage. Was this just driver experience, or is there more to it? Also what tires are you on?

the Dodge Ram was at a disadvantage being in front. He had to blaze the trail. I tried to follow his tracks. but my car is narrower and i would only be able to keep one side in his tracks. The single cab toyota was a young inexperienced driver and got stuck a few times. One time he slid off the side the road on a straight away that didn't even have much snow. His truck was pretty squirlly with wide tires. I had 29" super swampers that are pretty aggressive and skinny. they would dig right down to the soil and always got good traction.

We went up yesterday and played in a couple of toys. At the end of the day, I got the impression the imp with its 27 inch kumhos could hang with the toy with skinny 32s in the conditions we were in. But once I deflated them down to 20 lbs, the Truck was pretty unstoppable. I was playing in some pretty deep stuff, really slushy icy stuff. No powder, that's for sure.

I woulda taken pics, but the rain was coming down like cats and dogs, didn't wanna ruin the camera.

• 3 weeks later...

I've not been on the board in many months but interested to know how you D/R is perfoming now after you've had it a while..

I'm a mudrat customer too, outback strut swap an discoverer AT's on my legacy... I've thought about the D/R swap and now anotehr thread in the new gen mentions maybe importing the newer d/r..

Anyhoo, your forester dertainly rocks and i look forward to more news and clips of its capabilities with the d/r.

-mark-

Took my Forester up to Bohemia Pass last Saturday with a group of co-workers. They had 2 lifted Toyota's and a Dodge Ram. We made it to the top of the pass. The Dodge Ram was leading and got stuck a couple of times. I was right behind the Dodge in my 4" lifted Forester. I Never got stuck. It just plowed through anything the other trucks went through. The 2 Toyotas where behind me. the single cab got stuck several times. We ran into a couple other groups as well. Didn't see any other Subaru's. click on link to see pictures.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/792800/9

I've not been on the board in many months but interested to know how you D/R is perfoming now after you've had it a while..

I'm a mudrat customer too, outback strut swap an discoverer AT's on my legacy... I've thought about the D/R swap and now anotehr thread in the new gen mentions maybe importing the newer d/r..

Anyhoo, your forester dertainly rocks and i look forward to more news and clips of its capabilities with the d/r.

-mark-

The D/R still performs as good as when it was installed. I rarely drive the Forester though. My SVX is my daily driver and only use the Forester for trips into the woods.

right on, so houw strong is the low range from the older tranny? how well does it climb? Does the clutch hold the car, or slip on steeper climbs or did you beef it up?

I know (from John) the forester was on its way out which is part of why you went the d/r route, but jus curious about how well it does as a 4x4, and how well it does as a street FWD.. i know the lift and tires kill the MPG, but otherwise what are you driving impressions?

Bummer we didn't meet last X-mas when I got my tube bumper, but such is the way..

take care yo! ;)

-mw-

The D/R still performs as good as when it was installed. I rarely drive the Forester though. My SVX is my daily driver and only use the Forester for trips into the woods.

right on, so houw strong is the low range from the older tranny? how well does it climb? Does the clutch hold the car, or slip on steeper climbs or did you beef it up?

I know (from John) the forester was on its way out which is part of why you went the d/r route, but jus curious about how well it does as a 4x4, and how well it does as a street FWD.. i know the lift and tires kill the MPG, but otherwise what are you driving impressions?

Bummer we didn't meet last X-mas when I got my tube bumper, but such is the way..

take care yo! ;)

-mw-

The Low-range climbs and does much better in all areas off-road compared to my stock tranny. The clutch is an XT-6 clutch. Which Mudrat claims is the strongest clutch you can get for an ea82 tranny. I haven't noticed any clutch slipping. I don't know what you mean by the Forester was on it's way out. The Old AWD Tranny and clutch have been working great in my SVX. On the street in FWD It is noticably more sluggish because of higher gearing and taller tires. with lift and bigger tires I'm getting about 19 MPG. Overall it is less enjoyable on the street but much more fun off-road.