Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power window loose, falling down, doesnt' work

my window is just loose, falls down a few inches when i drive. pull it back up by hand, push it down. this is on an XT6.

never worked on a window before.

what do i need? new clips or attachments of some sort?

i have a parts car, can i swap anything?

i pulled the interior panel off the door to push a dent out, had to have knocked it loose then.

At either end of the bottom of the glass are little plastic clips glued to the window, where bolts go through to hold it onto the window tracks. Having one of these clips loose would cause those problems. Could be unbolted or could have come unglued from the glass. If it came unglued, I'd recommend just replacing the window, as you'll never get it to stick properly again. The window isn't that hard to remove, just onbolt on each end, unbolt it from the regulator, and you can lift it out.

so removing my parts window - just unbolt it without ungluing or damaging those clips and it'll slide right in? i've never done it, so i'm not even sure what the look like, but sounds fair enough. recall pulling a regulator before and that was a PITA. hope the window is easier this time.

thanks!

Hardest part of swapping door glass, is figuring out the right angle-of-dangle to get glass out of door & new one in.

If the window glass is falling on it's own, then you have something broke in the guide and regulator areas, or mount point on glass has failed.

While you're in there, it's a good time to adjust the glass. On the tracks you'll find 10mm bolts holding brackets that limit the upper travel of the glass. There are also 10mm bolts that hold the track to the door. By adjusting those, you can make the glass fit tighter against an old seal.

Gary,

The XT/6 is a strange beast. I am dealing with a similar situation. What has probably happened is that on the bottom of the main slide is a plastic clip that guides the cable that moves the window up and down. Either the clip has broken or the cable itself has broken.

You'll need to remove the door panel to verify which it is. It is a rather detailed series of things you must do to remove the window. Your FSM should help you here.

The regulator is available through Subaru. I hear tell that the clips are as well. They break very easily so using a used one may be difficult. If you need any other questions answered PM me as I may or may not see additions to this post.

Ken