Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Oil in the Overflow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 oilintheoverflow

oilintheoverflow

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:52 PM

Help! 98 Forester 100k miles overheated for first time. Pulled over, opened hood and coolant overflow was full of oil! Let sit to cool, drove to nearest station, flushed antifreeze and changed oil. Appeared to be no coolant in oil. Let idle for an hour without overheating. Drove home (2 miles) and foaming coolant everywhere! There was no smoke out the back and no change in performance either time. Every board I see with similar symtoms looks like gasket issues. Sounds like big bucks. Any guesses as to what's a matter and how much as well as anyone in the S. Jersey area that can recommend a good place to take 'er? Once again, help!

#2 Green96GT

Green96GT

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • New England

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:08 PM

Sounds like very bad, and very expensive news.

#3 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,901 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:13 PM

HG for sure! Can't help on the price or a good shop in NJ, but I'd consider an engine from CCR out of Denver CO. The Best!

#4 OB99W

OB99W

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:19 PM

There's nothing I can think of but a catastrophic failure to cause the symptoms you describe. Likely bad head gasket(s), but could even be a cracked block. See http://home.comcast.net/~skipnospam/ and visit the guest book to get an idea of just how bad the HG problem is. Sorry... :(

--OB99W

#5 oilintheoverflow

oilintheoverflow

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:43 PM

ok, expensive. but how much? 500? 2000? do I auction it off? I just bought it used in April. No warranty naturally. Long shot additional clues-engine hot radiator cold, heat shut off right before it blew, no put-put air/sound from exhaust but............gasket, right?

#6 zyewdall

zyewdall

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,132 posts
  • Ward, CO

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:12 PM

ok, expensive. but how much? 500? 2000? do I auction it off? I just bought it used in April. No warranty naturally. Long shot additional clues-engine hot radiator cold, heat shut off right before it blew, no put-put air/sound from exhaust but............gasket, right?

Yeah -- the reason the radiator and heater core were cold was that the coolant was low, from being slowly burned. Sounds like the classic head gasket to me. When I blew mine I got a cloud of white smoke for a minute or so, then nothing till two weeks later it overheated bad, and when I checked, it was about a gallon low on coolant. Never did see any smoke past the first burst, and I never got oil in the coolant or vice versa either. Just used alot of coolant.

I've heard estimates from $1200 to $2800 on this forum for fixing it. If you don't have a cracked block. If you are mechanically inclined and have a warm garage, you could do it yourself, for about $400 in parts. I'd allow two full weekends, based on my experience.

#7 Chip

Chip

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Canada

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:11 PM

I had my HGs done,(98 O/B), for $1200 Cdn. Including new plugs, timing belt, crank and camshaft seals. I didn't go to the dealer but instead, went to a local garage who had already done the same work on Subarus before. He was going to use Felpro gaskets but I told him to get them from Subaru....they were about $75 more.

It's been 5000 kms..so far so good.

#8 fnlyfnd

fnlyfnd

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 748 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:46 PM

It's not how much the car is worth. What is important, is, how much the car is worth to you.

#9 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,587 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:59 PM

Thats really what it comes down too. if this is the only thing wrong with the car, and you know the car well, i would get it fixed. Otherwise its loking to buy a car, the fees, the insurance etc etc

nipper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users