Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How hard will it be to find a good running low miles EA81?

I'm looking for a whole car, has to be a GL or DL wagon with 4WD and I'd love to have an EA81. People are steering me twords a Legacy, but really I only need part time 4WD and like the gas mileage of it better as well. I can't get over the reliabilty and ease of maintenencee of an EA81, and from all I've heard I am convinced the EA81 is Subaru's best design. I am so fanatical about them I'd be willing to slap an EA81 in a newer 4WD Suby if thats possible..... What do ya think? How much should I pay for say an '84 GL Wagon with EA81, no signifigant rust and in good condition? They sure don't have blue book value, but what are they worth?

Not too hard, in this area. Most have over 200k, but every once in a while (once a month or so) I see one thats more like 130k. Usually about $1000 for an EA81 with that mileage. If you are willing to travel, check the Craigslist postings for denver and you'll see alot. Looking a little sparse today -- few EA82's, and of course the next gen ones. But there is a nice 1986 hatchback with 170k miles, for $1000. If you see anything located in Boulder, I'd be willing to go check it out, so you don't have to buy sight unseen. I'm sure there's other USMB members around here who might help too.