Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've searched and can't really find anything. I've got 2 Imprezas, a 95 and a 96. The 96 gauge was dead when I bought it (no reading, ever). The 95 seemed to work but shortly after purchase quit. Is the problem almost always in the sending units in the tank? Where should I look first? Thanks. (BTW, I've had 4 other Subarus including another 96, rally car, and have never had any issues other than inaccurate readings, with any of them)

The sending units have a sort of open rehostat for each floater. I've seen a few times that the contacts on them wear off causing an open circuit. Pull the sending units out of the tank and take a look. Its possible theyre just dirtied up and can be cleaned with some alcohol. Also, have you had it down to where the 'E' light should be on? My guess is that will still work, its on a seperate circuit.

subarus have poor sending units. They are easy enough to remove on the Legacys, and are prbbly the same on the imprezzas. Remove them (if there are two of them.. on the legacy there is) and with a pencil eraser clean the rheostaet wipe surface area (or use carb cleaner). Check the float to make sure it ... well .. floats :)

nipper