Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT 5Spd AWD W/Center Diff Lock in an EJ (1998 Legacy)??

thingol

Can it be done? I want to put a XT Turbo 5Spd AWD transmission w/ the center diff lock into my 5Spd 98 legacy. Check my list and see how close I am. I searched, as I thought this came up a while back, but I could not find the thread.

Definately Needed:

EJ-EA Engine Adaptor Plate.

EA Flywheel/Clutch (Redrilled?)

Matching Rear Diff (3.90)

Rig a vaccum pull for the Diff Lock

Unknown:

New Driveshaft (shorter/longer?)

Different Crossmember?

Anything Else?

If I could get this to work out, it would be great, as I would have AWD on the street (which I like, as spinning wheels in the rain does not really excite me), and be able to lock the center for some trail running....still no low-range, but going from the 4.11 to the 3.90 would "correct" my gearing from my lift and bigger tires (pictures forthcoming) regardless, so I would essentially be back to stock gearing, and I am willing to give up the dual range to retain the AWD (as opposed to swapping an EA d/r in).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

the XT Turbo FT4WD 5 speed is 3.7 ratio if you want even lower.

the axle shafts will likely be an issue. can't imagine the XT axles will match your hubs or the '98 axles will match the trans and rear diff. shops can make a set of correct axles for you though.

you'll need the solenoid(s) for the diff lock button to work. although you could probably fab some other kind of actuator to work. never heard of that being done before though.

best bet would be to pick up a junked car with a good trans that you want, XT 5 speed like you said.

i have lots of the stuff that you would need.

XT6 AWD trans w/ diff lock and 3.9:1 ratio

trans shift linkage

matching 3.9:1 diff

solonoides and switch for diff lock

drive shaft

trans cross member (its a parts from a couple different cars but should work)

i even have the covited XT6 flywheel and clutch kit (used of corse)

looking to get $350 for it all. but shipping would kill.

I really wish I was in the Pacific North West, working on subarus would be so much easier! That sounds like a great deal, and I would snatch it up as soon as I could scrape together the money, if it was closer. Regardless, I may look into shipping or something of the kind (I have always wanted to go out west.......).

So basically the swap would be mechanically similar to the EA dual range swap? If this is the case, it sounds like it would not be too bad.

"but going from the 4.11 to the 3.90 would "correct" my gearing from my lift and bigger tires"

I am sorry to inform you that this is incorrect.

It would make matters worse

the taller tires are the same as numerically lowering your diff ratio,

meaning you go further with each drive shaft revolution.

Not what you want for wheeling or correcting your gearing.

To "correct" your gearing for tall tires you would need to go to a 4:44 ratio.

one Drive Shaft revolution = (1 /4.11) x revolution of the tire

rev of the tire = Pi x Dia (24" )

one DS rev. = 18.33 inches

3:90

one DS rev = (1 /3.9) x rev of the tire

rev of the tire = Pi x Dia (24" )

one DS rev. = 19.33 inches

Hmmm - a slight hijack but I'd like some clarification if possible.

- XT6 came out with a 3.9 FT Single Range 4WD Box Correct?

- Is there such thing as 3.9 FT Dual Range that can go into an RX?

Also the EJ tranny would not be lockable? Am I correct in saying that? The Australian EJ models have dual range - but the "low range" is fairly poor in stock form.

to my knowledge you are right with the XT6 but no 3.9 was ever in the FTDR in the RX they were all 3.7, and we never got a DR in any EJ and none are lockable, just FTAWD.

rule of thumb is if its turbo it got 3.7:1 if it was N/A it was 3.9:1

Hmmm - a slight hijack but I'd like some clarification if possible.

- XT6 came out with a 3.9 FT Single Range 4WD Box Correct?

- Is there such thing as 3.9 FT Dual Range that can go into an RX?

Also the EJ tranny would not be lockable? Am I correct in saying that? The Australian EJ models have dual range - but the "low range" is fairly poor in stock form.

to my knowledge you are right with the XT6 but no 3.9 was ever in the FTDR in the RX they were all 3.7, and we never got a DR in any EJ and none are lockable, just FTAWD.

rule of thumb is if its turbo it got 3.7:1 if it was N/A it was 3.9:1

Ahh got it! So can you bolt a 3.9 Single Range FT Tranny to an EA82?

Sounds like we Australians (and NZers apparently!) got the lion's share when it comes to the later model cars regarding gearboxes. I have heard of people taking the 1.592 gears and placing them into EJ Dual Range boxes - just to have decent crawling ability.

Thanks for clearing that up for me hey :)

Check this thread....:)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32987&highlight=3%3A90+LSD+tranny

Also, This is first hand info, I've gathered from all the MANY CARS I"VE BUILT AND DRIVEN....

A Legacy or Outback or Forrester is a car with an engine pushing 135-165 hp..in a car weighing roughly 3500 lbs give or take...Also running 14-16 inch wheels...

If you take a 3:90 trans out of a car that had a motor running 90-102 hp and wheels in the 13inch rage and you stuff it behind the bigger motor it will effectively be Ok even with larger tires....

Example...I took a 4:11 AWD 5 speed out of a 98 Forester....and replaced it with a 3:90 2WD Hi-Lo tranny from a GL....We stuffed the Phantom LSd in the front diff, and a stock Subi LSd in the rear Diff....He runs 27-28 inch Mud terrain tires on it and It gos as well if not better now than it did before....

When thinking about this you need to remember Subaru Geared 1-5 in the 3:90 for 13 rubber and less hp....and they geared the 4:11 box for more hp and bigger rubber......:)

Make Sense...? Good....John :confused::eek::confused:

First of all, thanks to all who replied, this has been most helpful. I will have to pour over some more information to figure out where I want to go next with this. In terms of ease, the EJ Dual Range would be the best, as it should be a relatively straight swap (according to subaru australia's website, some of them are evel 4.11, so no diff change needed), but of course, those are not available (althoug Allied Armarment were discussing trying to import some). Regardless, don't worry about thread hijacks, please continue discussing any aspect of this you can think of, as more information is always better than less.

If I was closer, I would probably just take it to Mudrat to get the EA Dual Range LSD swap done, but shipping would not be fun to the other side of the country.....I was hoping to put something together myself.

Thanks, keep the info coming!

i have an XT6 5speed 4WD i'm getting rid of. if you're interested in it - it has the FT4WD 5 speed with center differential. you could have the whole thing, trans, pedal assembly, vacuum lines, center diff, diff lock button, actuator, drive shaft, rear diff, etc. i'd pull the engine and some other random things out first and the rest is yours. i'm in maryland, so i could possibly tow it to you depending where in VA you are.

I think the EJ dual-range for you is the best way to go. It would be pretty pricey though to import one. But you will keep the AWD and get some low-range as well. I got a ea82 3:90 Dual-range swap in my forester with 29" tires. I gave up my AWD and 4:11 gearing though. Driving around in 2wd with 29" tires is noticbly slower. But Gaining more Off-roadability in 4lo is worth it for me. Since that is all I use the Forester for now.