Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Safari rack/light bar

I have an 88 dl, Wagon, nothing fancy, plain Jane. My son who currently drives it will be leaving soon so he won't need it. I bought it for me, but let him use it .... now that I can really call it mine.......

Would it be too uncool to put a Safari rack / light bar on top of my wagon without being lifted. I don't have the money to lift & Rack, but have access to welder and misc to build rack now. but if it would look stupid... maybe I will lift later and put rack on top after lifted.

3/4" square tube be sufficient or 1" ?

All I really use it for is mild back road driving so the lights would be nice to have and running around town on weekend, it's my play rig.

Thanks.

off subject, took my 88, wagon for the first time up into the hills, raining cold and found some dirt hills to run up... *first time ever... I was amazed how the wagon pulled it self up.. :grin:, push the AWD button, point car at hill and up it goes... LOL...mud flying everywhere, it was fun! Big puddles were fun too, I thought it would kill the motor that much water in the air...but didn't slow down a bit. I am learning what all the noise is about and what I am supposed to be doing with these things!:brow: . Noob at the wheel.

I think a roof rack improves the looks of a Wagon, regardless of what make it is. I say go for the rack now, do the lift later. I would say go with the 1" tube for the rack framing. That way you know it'll be sturdy enough for what ever you want to put in it later down the road.

Haven't played in the mud with any of mine, yet.. But I have had some serious fun playing in the snow with my '86 BRAT and the XT-6.

Never need an excuse to put a safari rack on your wagon. Definatly helps the look.

Here's a before shot of my Wagon with no rack:

100_0074.jpg

And this is a pic with the rack I had Tony (Soobme) build for me:

rackwagon_009.jpg

I recieved it as bare metal. Not 100% sure what the spec's for the material he used was, but the rack is very sturdy. After I got it, I primered it and used a DIY bedliner kit and coated the rack in a truck bedliner :)

Here's a shot that might help you in your construction:

finishedrack_005.jpg

If you have a welder, I say there's no reason not to do it.

-Brian

Never need an excuse to put a safari rack on your wagon. Definatly helps the look.

Here's a before shot of my Wagon with no rack:

100_0074.jpg

And this is a pic with the rack I had Tony (Soobme) build for me:

rackwagon_009.jpg

I recieved it as bare metal. Not 100% sure what the spec's for the material he used was, but the rack is very sturdy. After I got it, I primered it and used a DIY bedliner kit and coated the rack in a truck bedliner :)

Here's a shot that might help you in your construction:

finishedrack_005.jpg

If you have a welder, I say there's no reason not to do it.

-Brian

Can you give more pix of how that's mounted? I am gonna build one and I am not sure how to mount it.

Can you give more pix of how that's mounted? I am gonna build one and I am not sure how to mount it.

I also have a Soobme rack, i can take some pics when it gets light out again. If i was to do it over, i'd probably get a Yakima or Thule rack bars and just build my own basket to attach.