Ultimate Subaru Message Board

timing belt swap

Yes to belts. But does either car have AC? or a clutch fan on the pump?

the AC water pump is shorter than the Non AC water pump...which makes me thinks that if one is AC and one isn't, your belts for you alternator and pump won't line up

If you are doing the belts to the manual, be careful when it tells you to put both cam pulleys' hole up. This is wrong, the left pulley up, right pulley down. and make sure you are on the middle of the 3 valve marks...not the Top Dead Center mark.

EDIT: Who knows where that great Timing Belt write up is?

EDIT Ver. 2.0: found it http://www.economysuperstar.com/milesfox/subaru/service/timingbelt.htm

If you are doing the belts to the manual, be careful when it tells you to put both cam pulleys' hole up. This is wrong, the left pulley up, right pulley down. and make sure you are on the middle of the 3 valve marks...not the Top Dead Center mark

Yes, that "cam pulley marks up" almost got me too when I tried following the manual to changed my belts. I was using a Haynes manual and it almost said the same thing, except it also briefly said to turn the crankshaft 360 degrees between belts. I missed that detail during the first initial read.

So the procedure as suggested by the manual is to align the flywheel to the triple marks, install first timing belt, turn crankshaft around one complete revolution back to the same 3 marks and install the other timing belt. At the start of this procedure, it would be ok to have both cam pulleys pointing straight up, but after the first belt is installed and the crankshaft turned one revolution, then the first cam would then be pointing down while you are installing the belt on the second one.

I hope I didn't just add more confusion to a really simple process.

Rollie