Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Motor Mounts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mortimc

mortimc

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:20 AM

Both of the motor mounts on my 81 subie sheared on the plate that is attached to the block. Has anyone had any sort of problems like this, if so, what did you do. I just welded the pieces back together without reinforcing them (didnt know what clearence problems I might create). This is temporary for now, I expect them to crack again in the heat affected zone pretty soon. But, they're pretty easy to pull in and out if anyone has a brilliant idea.

Clayton
Bellingham

#2 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,423 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:24 AM

if you need some good used ones i have some........send me shipping and they are yours.i hate to see you ruin a perfectly good car.pm me your addy or put it here.....

#3 mortimc

mortimc

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:16 AM

Thanks, I live in Bellingham, WA. So that would work out pretty well. Ill see if I can find some tomorow, if not I'll let ya know. I was thinking it would be a good idea to reinforce them somehow because thay have a lot of sheer stress loaded through 'em, but I dunno where to start.

Clayton

#4 subarunuts

subarunuts

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:52 AM

The EA81 mounts always shear like that for some reason... old rubber I suppose. Best thing is to either get some new ones, or make some of your own with some two part urethane. Can get new ones here: http://www.rockauto.com/

#5 CHIM

CHIM

I think i can break that.

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • Oregon

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:01 AM

lol, i have broke so many motor mounts!!!, i have a problem with dumpimg my clutch at stoplights:lol: , Even dented the hood on my old 81 from the motor hitting it.

#6 BlueSteel

BlueSteel

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Tasmania, Australia

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:33 PM

i know the round ones of the early liberty's (legacy) work well and bolt straight in
lots of rubber in those, no where near as likely to break

#7 mortimc

mortimc

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:57 PM

I think you guys think im talking about the rubber part, to clarify, the parts that broke are the plates between the rubber blocks and the motor itself.

Clayton
Bellingham

#8 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 19 January 2006 - 04:19 AM

so the rubber itself is fine, you just broke the metal pieces that attach rubber to motor, and rubber to crossmember? that sounds like a feat if ive ever heard one. id take him up on the motor mounts if i were you.

~Josh~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users