Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Manual choke?

I have an '84 GL Wagon with a Carter-Weber carb (therin probably lies the problem) and the choke started sticking shut so I had to rip the spring off in a pinch to keep her running for the night. Trouble is, now the spring is destroyed and there is no such thing as a rebuild kit for this carb. Please don't tell me to get a Hitatchi or a Weber. The car is a beater, soon to be replaced, and I have no money to speak of so changing carbs when other than being damn hard to start, this one is working fine, would be senseless. Can I find some sort of universal manual choke cable assembly that I can make fit?

I used a piece of wire and permanently 'closed' the choke for winter when I was driving my '86 wagon. The carb was gummed up so the choke would work when the engine was hot, but then it wouldn't close when it cooled down. I sure fixed it good!

Gas mileage was bad, but at least it ran and warmed up well. When spring came, I just took the wire off and it was fine.

A wire will work in a pinch until you can find a wreck with a replacement carb.

get a can of "deep creep".and spary the livin hell out of it..buy a new spring and it should free up qa bit.you can also find another throttle cable bracket,a long piece of like, two inch metal and drill some holes attach it where you can and just put a pull lever on it.you can find al sorts of things at your local hard ware store.your not building a rocket here,anything that pulls out and pushes in will work,as long as it has a cable that is trong enough.