Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to remove that wood-looking sticker?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cricket

cricket

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Houston, Texas

Posted 17 October 2003 - 08:30 PM

Anyone know how to remove that wood applique from a woody wagon? I'm guessing it's the same as removing a large sticker, like a bird sticker on a Trans Am. I need to remove all the woody sticker from the 78 wagon before doing the body work.

#2 XSNRG

XSNRG

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,657 posts
  • Olympia

Posted 17 October 2003 - 08:31 PM

A hair dryer or heat gun may soften it up a bit...

#3 cricket

cricket

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Houston, Texas

Posted 17 October 2003 - 09:14 PM

Most of the sticker is dry and toasted.

#4 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

Quite Rusty, but working.

• Members
  • 3,263 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 17 October 2003 - 09:23 PM

Are you worried about the paint? If not, you can use aircraft paint remover (found at pretty much any parts store), this stuff will remove anything, down to the bare metal. If not, then you can get some glue and label remover that works ohkay, you jes have to put on one coat, then wait about 5 minutes, then apply another coat.

#5 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,860 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 17 October 2003 - 09:29 PM

use a paint scraper and a heat gun and a lot of time but in the end, it'll all come off. Once you get the hang of it, it'll go a lot faster. I know all about removing those old Trans Am bird stickers from the hood:D

#6 cricket

cricket

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Houston, Texas

Posted 17 October 2003 - 09:29 PM

I don't want to totally scratch the paint underneath, and avoid having to strip down to bare metal. Can I get glue and label remover at any parts store?

#7 cricket

cricket

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Houston, Texas

Posted 17 October 2003 - 09:31 PM

and would a blow dryer do?

#8 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,860 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 17 October 2003 - 09:39 PM

a blow dryer MIGHT work and if it did, not very well and you'd be at it 3 times as long than if you got a heat gun. Heat guns aren't very expensive and they pay off in the long run. Mine has paid for itself like 10 times over and thats no joke.

#9 Hocrest

Hocrest

Function becomes Fun

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Cressona/Pittston

Posted 17 October 2003 - 09:51 PM

I've removed company logo decals from my trucks at work. The heat gun is the only way to go.

Instead of a metal putty knife, get one of the cheap plastic ones, and you will be less likely to scratch the paint.

Once you get a patch started, pull it back across itself as you continue to apply the heat.

Good luck

#10 gravelRX

gravelRX

Driven with both feet.

• Members
  • 885 posts
  • Roanoke, VA

Posted 18 October 2003 - 07:41 AM

3M makes a decal remover that you chuck into the end of a screwgun or drill. Basically it's a big, round, pencil eraser for your car.

I removed all the pinstripes on my RX with it.

The older stickers just disappear.
The newer stickers, like one set of my pinstripes, leaves a bit of adhesive, I just got the rest off with WD40 and then cleaned it well and waxed it.

Check your local paint supply store.

Regards,

Jay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users