Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need a quick favor from someone with an 84+ ea81

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 18 October 2003 - 02:48 PM

Hey could someone with an 84 or later ea81 4wd, go and take a look at their clutch fork? My 83 FSM shows there should be a spring connected to it. However my 84 doesn’t have a spring connected to its clutch fork. As some of you know from an earlier thread, I'm having some clutch cable issues and I want to determine if the lack of this spring is my problem. Here is a link to my earlier thread. http://usmb.ultimate...ht=clutch cable

#2 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 18 October 2003 - 02:54 PM

The spring is for DL or standard models. Those that do not have the hill holder option.

#3 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,956 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 18 October 2003 - 03:24 PM

Just learned something new. Thanks Qman! Now I just need to find a DL with a manual tranny.
Don't think the lack of the spring is your problem with the clutch adjustment issue. Reason being... My '82 doesn't have a clutch return spring on the release lever, nor is the cable there for the Hill Holder, which is there.
The guy that did the engine swap, left the HH cable off, mainly because he didn't re-mount the HH when he moved it rearwards. He did put an accelerator return spring on the release lever for the clutch. Clearly not even close to what it should be size wize.
I do have good pedal adjustment with proper free-play. And the clutch fully releases if I put the pedal on the floor. May have to tweak it a bit more.
Only problem I do have is the clutch will slip during shifts, if I'm hard on the gas and on dry pavement. Loose stuff, or painted shop floors are no problem. Thinking the slippage is from the spring not being what it's supposed to be. Not 100% on that though. Could just be weak pressure plate.
I haven't messed with a clutch cable on any Sube yet, but I do have a new one out in the garage for when I do the 5 speed swap. Therefore, I can't give you any tips or tricks on it But clearly, something isn't right. Would consider what was said in your first posting on this, about the release bearing and holders. You shouldn't have the same problem with 2 different cables.....

#4 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 18 October 2003 - 03:36 PM

The spring is for the throw out bearing. It keeps it from rattling. The spring has absolutely no purpose for adjustment of the clutch. As far as the adjustment problem. Did the replacement clutch cable (or your old one for that matter) have a ball type washer assy on it? Most of them do and it allows for more adjustment. Did you grease the shaft before installing the throw out bearing?

I don't remember if you used new parts or remanned. If remaned it could be a weak pressure plate or even a bad surface or resurface. What I mean is that it could be out of tolerance. When turning the flywheel for vehicles newer than 1984 you have to be careful for the machine shop turning it for ea81 and ea82's. They both have different specs on flywheel depth.

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 18 October 2003 - 04:58 PM

While I do not doubt you Ken, my parts car was an 84 DL 4WD Wagon, and it had a hill-holder.... was that because it was 4WD? I guess it could have been added, but it didn't look that way.

(edit) I see that you called it an "option", so I guess that's the answer - it must have had that option!

GD

#6 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,328 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 19 October 2003 - 04:59 AM

it has a hill holder because its a manual tranny. trashwagon still has one from her 2wd 5spd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users