Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheres the HEAT?!

Hi All,

As some of you may know, I just finished "restoring" my 92 Subaru Loyale after the ex-wife attmepted to trash it. Needless to say, the car is very durable and after a lot of repairs (thanks again group) it is back on the street and it runs great!

I live in Rochester, NY and it's getting COLD.

However, now I have a new problem...

Where's the HEAT?!

QUESTIONS:

I have never changed the thermostat. What is the recommended temp for a new one?

I have read that "air-bubbles" in the heater core can cause problems. How do you get all the air out?

Do the control levers / cables / vacuume motors ever go bad and stop the heat? How do I check?

Thanks!

T.J.

Most people run the stock 195 degree thermostat but you can get 180, which might be useful if you live where it's hot or you tow/carry heavy loads. You should probably stay with 195 for the better heat.

For air bubbles: take off the rdiator cap, start the motor, turn the heater all the way to hot--I don't think you need to turn the fan on. This will circulate coolant thru the heater core. Bubbles will pop as they get to the hole where the radiator cap is, due to low ambient air pressure, compared to the pressure inside the cooling system. Add coolant if necessary to keep it full, so no more air bubbles occur. When it starts to rise at the hole where the radiator cap goes, due to the coolant heating up, put the cap back on. By then there should be no bubbles in the system.

Well there is some info need here. Dose the temp gage on the dash show that the engine is running at its normal temperature? If it dose, changing the thermostat isn't going to help you much since the new one will keep the engine running at basically the same temperature. What your problem might be is a clogged heater core.

To get rid of air in the heater core, it is generally neccesary to put the car on a steep slope, facing up, then burp the radiator by taking the cap off and turning the heat on to open the flow to the heater core.

Clogged heater core is definately a possiblity, they get nasty inside like a radiator does, and eventually rust through and caues a hell of a mess in the car.

GD

EA82 cars do not have flow control valves for the heater core

only EA81's, the use a "blending door" It basicly defects the air through the core or not through the core.

i.e. no need to slide the heat control to max

Make sure the small white canister on the shelf behind the pass, side strut tower has a good vacuum line to it.

The heat control system operate from this vacuum