Ultimate Subaru Message Board

plans to go higher...

scrap487

well I'm in the process of sorting out some mechanical bugs at the moment, but I cant seem to shut my mind off late at night.

I've decided the best thing to do is go 2" higher over the 6" I already have. at this point I dont think it will improve offroad performance much, but as hard as it is to believe I have an idea that it will drop the struts enough to make it a little easier to correct the camber, it will also allow me to get another 2" of compression in the rear because my shocks are currently limiting it; I haven't bottomed out on the road but when flexing it has bottomed out and I'm sure I could get more flex out of the back. this time, once I figured out the shape of the blocks i need, one of my friends is going to help me cast the strut tops out of solid aluminum which aside from making the mold, SHOULD make everything waay easier. I also want to see a wagon with 8" cause I dont know of any :-)

anyways this is going to be my build thread, and I will try to make pictures and get everything much more organized and post as I go and completely fabricate the lift before I install it, so I will have a better resource to refer other people to who dont like to use the search function.

Because I already have the shocks i need, all the needed hardware, and brake lines that can probably handle another 10" of lift ontop of what i already have, this will be fairly cheap for me to do and I may actually end up getting a tcase so I dont have to mess around with shifter linkages and stuff, but that wont come near the end.

Expect more in a day or too, so check back. I figure I'll probably have everything all done total within 4 weeks, probably less. I wont install it however untill I for sure dont need to use it for 2 weeks.

I think something's wrong with me... cause I've hardly had a chance to wheel this thing and I'm all cracked out on subaru :slobber:

Here's a pic of an 8" lifted hatch, now owned by Turbone:

396715_Small_.JPG

It's got 8" blocks all around, thats about as much as I know. I say go for it, it'll look awesome. Do you have a t-case set up yet? I'd look into doing that while you've got everything else out. Have fun and keep us updated.

I don't know of any EA81s, but I can think of 3 8"+ lifted EA82 wagons. 2 of them have tcases.

I think if you're going that high, you might as well go all the way and do the tcase thing. It'll add a whole new level of complexity to the build, but it would be soooo sweet! :headbang:

turbone's hatch has a tcase too, btw.

no, the beast is not swapped onto a truck frame. those are there to mount the tcase, as the unibody cannot take the torque in it's stock form

I forgot about rooinater! He's tcased too IIRC

in fact, I attached a pic of the only subaru I can think of with a custom lift over 6" that isn't tcased! It was for sale here a while ago, and I heard it ended up in MN, but I don't know anything else.

post-3242-13602760733_thumb.jpg

no, the beast is not swapped onto a truck frame. those are there to mount the tcase, as the unibody cannot take the torque in it's stock form

I forgot about rooinater! He's tcased too IIRC

in fact, I attached a pic of the only subaru I can think of with a custom lift over 6" that isn't tcased! It was for sale here a while ago, and I heard it ended up in MN, but I don't know anything else.

oh what a beautiful oil pan... and

YES I KNEW I had seen an 8" lift on a wagon before, when I first joined the board thats what I was looking for and I had the hardest time finding anything higher than 4" for wagons and I was actually kinda stumped.

ok, if I can find a tcase that would be great. if I do that though, does anyone know of a tcase that will work that has some sort of gear reduction in highgear? or possibly some differant differantials that I might be able to fit some better gears into? say like around 5:1 or something? or are those only found in solid axles... I suppose at the very least it wouldnt be too hard to make some 4.44 differantials work right? the reason I bring this up is because I have noticed that the on the tailshaft or whatever in the transmission have had a tendancy to shred to peices because of crawling with the transmission in low range all the time pushing those big tires. I guess ultimately I would try to make a nissan or if possible toyota 4 speed(those things are indestructable...) work with an ea81 if my transmission ever failed but i'd like to avoid that if possible.

oh what a beautiful oil pan... and

YES I KNEW I had seen an 8" lift on a wagon before, when I first joined the board thats what I was looking for and I had the hardest time finding anything higher than 4" for wagons and I was actually kinda stumped.

ok, if I can find a tcase that would be great. if I do that though, does anyone know of a tcase that will work that has some sort of gear reduction in highgear? or possibly some differant differantials that I might be able to fit some better gears into? say like around 5:1 or something? or are those only found in solid axles... I suppose at the very least it wouldnt be too hard to make some 4.44 differantials work right? the reason I bring this up is because I have noticed that the on the tailshaft or whatever in the transmission have had a tendancy to shred to peices because of crawling with the transmission in low range all the time pushing those big tires. I guess ultimately I would try to make a nissan or if possible toyota 4 speed(those things are indestructable...) work with an ea81 if my transmission ever failed but i'd like to avoid that if possible.

When you use a divorced Tcase, you don't use the stock front diff. you add one underneath it. Because of this, you can VERY easily use a stock subaru 4.44 r180 in the front. you could even use an LSD one. we did the math, IIRC 4.44 final drive ratio would turn 30s with stock gearing.

also, you can use the measily lo range in the tranny with the tcase's RWD hi range, which could probably turn 35s with stock gearing...

When you use a divorced Tcase, you don't use the stock front diff. you add one underneath it. Because of this, you can VERY easily use a stock subaru 4.44 r180 in the front. you could even use an LSD one. we did the math, IIRC 4.44 final drive ratio would turn 30s with stock gearing.

also, you can use the measily lo range in the tranny with the tcase's RWD hi range, which could probably turn 35s with stock gearing...

oh man... so I need to get my hands on some LSD 4.44s, anyone know where I can find some cheap or what cars they came on in a junkyard(I know.. I will use the search function.. eventually) what does it take to make 4.44s work or is it a direct bolt on and I dont have to go swapping joints and stuff out of axles? are there any problems steering on the road in 2wd with lsd from and rear? figure there wouldnt be too much but if there is I might as well just mod some locking hubs to work and weld up the differantials

the nissan case is tried and true, no high range reduction though. This can be overcome with new possibilities in diff gearing though.

the samurai has high range reduction that varies depending on the model, and there are 4:1, 6:1, 8:1 etc reduction gear kits for this t-case. There might be a bit more work involved in shifter routing. The drive flanges are not the same as nissan/subaru, but the ujoints in the driveshafts are the same, so samurai flanges can be put on a nissan driveshaft or vice versa. I think there are 1 or 2 people who have done this route, but they are not regulars on the board AFAIK.

toyota doesnt have a divorced t-case unless you buy a $$ adapter. But even then whats the point, it uses different flanges, normally runs passenger side drop so it would have to be clocked upright, and its a fair bit bigger than needed unless you have ideas about 37" tires and axles to back them up.

The 4.44's came stock in some newer subarus, I beleive mostly autos....but I'm not sure.

if you have 2, mounting them will be no different than mounting the 3.90 diffs in a tcased rig. the case is virtually the same.

what about the axles?

So what sort of nissan are we talking about to get a good tcase off of?

I too have a wagon that could do with some major lift. I'm guessing that the tcase hooks up right behind the gear box where the prop/tail shaft normally goes, then you would have to make custom propshafts for the front and back drive, right?

So what sort of nissan are we talking about to get a good tcase off of?

I too have a wagon that could do with some major lift. I'm guessing that the tcase hooks up right behind the gear box where the prop/tail shaft normally goes, then you would have to make custom propshafts for the front and back drive, right?

no, use a tcase off of a nissan 720 4x4(made 1980-1985 before they went to something else), its a divorced tranfercase and the shaft that goes between tcase and transmission I've heard bolts right up, I believe you can use the nissan front and rear driveshafts as well but I'm not so sure about that, althougth the flanges do bolt right up.