Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EEEEKKK

alas my warnings have gone unheaded :rolleyes: Tranny pans have to be removed as methodically as a cylinder head to prevent leaks, and the same reinstalling it (oil pans too though they tend be stiffer). Its easy to bend the lip and cause a leak, or make an existing one worse. It may not be the gaskets fault. Get a steel rule or straight edge and make sure the pan flange is flat. Reinstall the pan using a star pattern and slowly tighten the bolts. All else fails there is always RTV.

nipper

the trans pan from the donor car has a leak and it's running down and towards the front. i assume it's because of the angle of the car on jack stands.

is it easier to address the pan leak out of the car or in the car? how vulnerable is the pan, can it be easily damaged while moving it around the shop or installing it??

what is RTV?? thanks, john

you used a new gasket with sealant on both sides?

is it leaking out the lip or bolt holes?

the first time i put the gasket on i used no sealer and it leaked.

then i got a new gasket and put sealer on both sides and it still leaks.

it looks like it's leaking from the lip on the front of the pan, in the same spot as before. unless there is something above it that is leaking and running down, but i'm pretty sure it's the pan.

might want to make sure it's the pan.

if there's any fluid above the pan, then it's likely coming from somewhere else. the ATF cooler lines usually attach just above the pan and could be seeping as well.

spray it all down really well with a good cleaner. after clean up, see where it's coming from.

my trans has a slight leak, oily dirt, on the side of the case where the wire harness enters the housing. any solutions / seals or don't worry about it??

thanks john

might want to make sure it's the pan.

if there's any fluid above the pan, then it's likely coming from somewhere else. the ATF cooler lines usually attach just above the pan and could be seeping as well.

spray it all down really well with a good cleaner. after clean up, see where it's coming from.

I'm sure Jamie could hook you up with one.

I'd try some good ol' copper/silicon RTV or something before buying a new one... i mean.. the hole in my oilpan is STILL being held by that stuff! (2k later...) :headbang:

RTV is just a gasket material... you put it on your gaskets & stuff, then clamp everything together, and it'll set, making you a really nice seal. You can get the stuff anywhere... hardware store, auto store... just ask for gasket maker stuff.

:confused: did you take a straight edge to all the mounting srufaces, both lengthwise and cross wise to make sure its flat and parallel. Hate to have you spend big bucks on a new pan (if its even available, wasnt on the parts site).

nipper

i got a used pan the other day from the subie garage with a new gasket.

my trans was clean and smooth and everything looked good. i cleaned the pan real good, put it on and it still LEAKS from the SAME spot.

it's the right front corner. i felt around everywhere above it and found nothing wet. its gotta be coming from the pan.

i don't understand this.

can you post a picture? something is certainly weird. you're sure it's not coming from the ATF fill tube where it fits into the trans?

you need to verify that part of the transmission housing is flat where it's leaking. if it's flat and the pan is flat it should work. are you sure it's the right pan as well? i guess so if it fit and the gasket fit?

i'm still wondering if it's really the pan and not something just above it...which is why i ask about the fill tube/dipstick tube.

there's a plug on the right side just above right front corner of the pan. it reminds me of a freeze plug on my old chevy pick up v8. this plug is held in by a c-clip / cir clip?? i don't know if you can see it or not but it's worth a look.

good luck,

i got a used pan the other day from the subie garage with a new gasket.

my trans was clean and smooth and everything looked good. i cleaned the pan real good, put it on and it still LEAKS from the SAME spot.

it's the right front corner. i felt around everywhere above it and found nothing wet. its gotta be coming from the pan.

i don't understand this.

can you post a picture? something is certainly weird. you're sure it's not coming from the ATF fill tube where it fits into the trans?.

the fill tube is on the left side and the leak is on the right

Make sure you let the rtv or whatever selant set before filling up. A couple hours should be good.

Are you using cork gaskets? If you are that could very well be your problem. Get a rubber and metal gasket.

I dunno, but is it possibile to crush the gasket (not cork)? Kinda like crushing a VC gasket.

Make sure you let the rtv or whatever selant set before filling up. A couple hours should be good.

Are you using cork gaskets? If you are that could very well be your problem. Get a rubber and metal gasket.

I dunno, but is it possibile to crush the gasket (not cork)? Kinda like crushing a VC gasket.

you can crush the gasket from over tightening and from not tightening in a star pattern. That goes with any cork gasket. SInce im not being answered on the flatness or method of tightening of the pan im bowing out of this one.

nipper

You can toss the gasket and just use RTV. Clean the pan and the transmission surface real well and dry both surfaces. Put a 1/4" bead on the pan - be sure to go around all bolt holes, and bolt it back on. Unless you've got another leak, that should seal it up.

how expensive is a new pan. if it is the pan i want to get a new one.

where can i get one, is it a dealer only part or would a parts store have one.

nipper, yes i am tightening it correctly and not over tightening. i know it's not the pan and the trans looks flat and clean. the first 2 gaskets were from the parts store and the one i used with the new pan was one from the dealer.

i can't see anything leaking above it. is it possable that there could be a buildup of pressure in the tranny and it's pushing through the gasket? i know its not me because i've done this a few times and the other ones never leaked.

i will just have to let it leak until i can take it to the soobie dealer and let them deal with it. 3 gaskets and 1 pan and it still leaks, i don't know what else to do. something seems funny to me.

thanks for the help anyway

nipper, yes i am tightening it correctly and not over tightening. i know it's not the pan and the trans looks flat and clean. the first 2 gaskets were from the parts store and the one i used with the new pan was one from the dealer.

i can't see anything leaking above it. is it possable that there could be a buildup of pressure in the tranny and it's pushing through the gasket? i know its not me because i've done this a few times and the other ones never leaked.

i will just have to let it leak until i can take it to the soobie dealer and let them deal with it. 3 gaskets and 1 pan and it still leaks, i don't know what else to do. something seems funny to me.

thanks for the help anyway

I once had a no name shop drop the pan to change the fluid. Big mistake! It leaked a month later. The dealer's mech. said that it was from the aftermarket gasket. I just do the drain plug from now on.