Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Pain relief available.

BruceyWV

For 2000 Outbacks.

After shredding my fist set of tires on the rocks here (it'll get jagged and rocky pretty fast sometimes) And getting some new touring tires (tripple treads), I've decided they simply arent up to the task for trail running.

picture

Solution?

Get swampers.

:grin:

ssrcompare.jpg

ssrcompare2.jpg

ssrwheelwell.jpg

Dont seem like they'll rub too bad.

Gonna dig out some 15's outta the junkyard, preferablly subie wheels, and get them mounted up and run them when I plan to go in the mountains.

Or, I could go all out and get an onboard air compressor, and air jack, and carry an impact wrench, with the 4 tires in the back, get to the trail on my touring tires then switch them out at the trail opening.

Yeah, right.

Hmm. I'm a bit nervous about taking my new all-season's into any terrain with sharp rocks..

Works out well in this case that you can use 15" wheels. '01 and up (i believe) have the bigger calipers and need min. of 16".

tried airing them down?? it doesn't sound like it would help, but it certainly does!! the rocks up here are very sharp (our ORV park is an old Iron Ore mine), and it's amazing what letting 15-20 psi of pressure out of your tires will do!

Of course I did!

It greatly improved the ride on the trail, but I still had a second tear on the old oturing tires, in that pic of the tripple tread flexing it was at 20 PSI. Didnt want to go any lower than that because I was alone and miles from any civilization. (Although, I did have cell service, go figure.)

Anyone else put M/T's or swampers on a modern outback? I saw a forester on here that had done it, hmm.

I just got mine(27inch TSL SSR's) mounted a few hours ago on my old steelies. I got mine from 4wheelparts. They had free shipping and each tire was 102.00. Granted, its more than the $90.00 i wanted to spend on TSL radials, but still. I can't wait till my forester springs get here.:grin:

I had my younger brothers friend who works at just tyres mount and blanace them for free(i gave him money ofcourse for doing it for me). Anyways, my steelies were all bent in one form or another. I have enough balancing weights on there its crazy. I will eventually have to find a new set of wheels, but for the time being.:headbang:

man I'm excited to see swampers on an otherwise stock car... so far my experiance has been they are a VERY good tires, honestly, I've put about 3000 miles on my swampers(hard driving and several smoking burnouts :burnout: ) and surprisingly have almost no wear for how soft the compound is. These are bias ply TSL/SX, I expect to probably get around 20k miles out of them which isnt bad for a bias ply mud tire.

You shouldnt ever have problems with traction with those tires, I can run at highway pressures FWD only through some nasty mud without problems... the only thing that will stop you is clearance and wheel travel. For me, since I'm currently FWD only, I'm good untill I lift a front tire off the ground, havent gotten stuck other than by doing that.

I just wish they made swampers small enough to fit my daily driver subaru...

hows the ride, sound and feel mean enough for you? my entire dash and hood shake violently at slow speeds with my swampers :headbang::grin:

will definately be coming soon ! I went on a trail yesterday, and since I was out of town and it was a spur of the moment deal, I went on my tripple treads. I posted the link in the video thread.

Yeah, as for the ride? it feels like I'm landing a helicopter. the entire time.