Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Milkshake" stuff, 40 minute drive gonna kill it?

So Im planning on picking up drumbreak's 84 wagon. Aperently it has a "milkshake" like substance comming out of the covers.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=489394#post489394

Theres the thread anyway, will it blow up or do really bad things if I try and drive it slow to my house, about 40 minutes maybe 50 if Im going slow. Or is it a better idea to trailer it?

Aparently it was driven 5 miles or so everyday to work before it was parked.

Thanks for any comments,

Brian

If it still runs good, and only has milkshake in the PCV system, and the oil cap, but the oil is clear, and the engine has good compression it's most likely just blown intake manifold gaskets. If thats the case it's perfectly fine to drive - just make sure it's full of coolant.

If the oil comes up looking lumpy and whitish colored, then it's a blown HG, and you'll ruin the engine if you drive it. But it's been my expereince that they won't run this way anyhow - the milkshake is so bad and thick once the HG goes, that it gets sucked into the intake, and down the carb - engine will not run at that point.

Start it up cold with the radiator cap off - if coolant boils out the radiator then you have compression going into the cooling system. If it doesn't, then drive it. Just watch that you don't overheat it - you'll warp the heads if they aren't already.

GD

It shouldnt kill the motor... but the motor probably wont run long enough to make it. My engine only ran about 2min after milkshake started to develop. Soon afterwards, the shake made its way through the crank and choked my carburator. I made it less than 2 miles.

That was the 2nd engine to have done that... the 1st i had with milkshake didnt even run long enough to make it onto the car dolly we were using to tow it home with. We ended up pushing it onto the dolly.

If you really need to drive it, drain all the shake and put in new oil before you do so. It may prolong the milkshake effect, depending on how bad the gaskets are.

-Brian

I was looking at a really nice Brat a long time ago at a used car dealer. I took oil cap off and checked oil with dip stick and both were milk shake. Dealer really came down a bunch. I drove it home about 30 miles and rechecked and it was much better. I got in and drove it a lot more and the milk shake dissapeared. I drove that Brat several years with no problem with water in oil.