Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Heat/AC only works on high setting

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wahoo

wahoo

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • San Francisco

Posted 03 November 2003 - 01:30 PM

I recently purchased a 98 Forester (I'll keep my fingers crossed that the gasket won't blow...). The only noticeable problem is that the heater/AC fan only operates when turned to the '4' (highest) setting.

Do you think this is a problem with the fan switch, the blower motor, or something else? Does anyone have any experience fixing this problem?

Thanks!!

#2 drewjohnson

drewjohnson

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Wisconsin

Posted 03 November 2003 - 01:50 PM

...with my 98 Nissan Frontier pickup. The blower would only work on the highest setting. I tested, and found the blower solenoid to be bad. The part was $35 and I did the labor myself. I'm not sure how hard it is to get to on a Forester, but my truck was pretty easy. Only had to take out the glove box and remove a few screws.

#3 ScoobySchmitty

ScoobySchmitty

I am The Stig.

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Kalamazoo

Posted 03 November 2003 - 07:27 PM

My parents had the same problem with their 94 Astro. My Dad replaced a sort of "resistor pack" that controlled the motor speed. After that, it worked fine. Methinks you might have to get a Haynes Manual and check out the electrical schematics section, if you are knowledgeable in such an area :D Hope this helps out.

ScoobySchmitty:banana:

#4 Lorryb

Lorryb

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Manitoba

Posted 03 November 2003 - 08:16 PM

Do a search here for Heater or resistor or blower fan. There is some info on that issue. IIRC - the fan only working on high indicates a blown resistor. On a Legacy its easy to get at, just remove the glove box door and there it is. I think there are even pics of it on the thread. Unfortunately I tried a search but couldn't find anything! Most peculiar, it seems as though I could only search the last month's posts.

#5 color-blind

color-blind

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 03 November 2003 - 09:07 PM

The blower resisitor has failed. When you go to speed 4 it by-passes the resistor. Yet the blower resistor failed for a reason. This is usually caused by a failing heater blower motor drawing too many amps. I would replace the resistor and the blower motor with oe parts. You could try just the resistor, yet don't be surprised if it fails again within a month or so. Good luck

#6 drewjohnson

drewjohnson

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Wisconsin

Posted 03 November 2003 - 09:16 PM

but my truck's blower resistor (I think I mispoke/typed earlier when I said solenoid) has been good for almost 9 months after replacement. To qualify that, it is NOT a Subaru. Just a thought.

#7 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,652 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 03 November 2003 - 09:36 PM

yup, just like everyone else mentioned, the blower resistor pack.

#8 color-blind

color-blind

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 03 November 2003 - 09:37 PM

Originally posted by drewjohnson
but my truck's blower resistor (I think I mispoke/typed earlier when I said solenoid) has been good for almost 9 months after replacement. To qualify that, it is NOT a Subaru. Just a thought.

You are correct it is not a Subaru. Nissan blower resistors fail often. They do not have as many problems with blower motors as Subaru does. If one wants to be really cheap it is possible to remove the resistor and solder it back together. If it fails again then replace the blower motor.

#9 drewjohnson

drewjohnson

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Wisconsin

Posted 03 November 2003 - 09:41 PM

What would you need to solder to get that to work? It would be good to know since I have a 92 Legacy wagon. Just in case for future failure??

#10 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,979 posts
  • Texas

Posted 03 November 2003 - 11:59 PM

Is it possible you're Forester has the cabin filter option and reduced airflow through clogged filters has increased the load on the fan?

#11 wahoo

wahoo

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • San Francisco

Posted 04 November 2003 - 12:43 PM

Wow, thanks for all the advice everyone! It definitely sounds like the resistor pack; I'll probably try to change just that first, and if it fails again I'll replace the whole thing. Now if only there was a Chilton's or Haynes manual for the Forester, I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable attacking this repair...

Incidentally, is the resistor pack a part of the blower motor? For example, if I were to replace the whole blower motor would this take care of the resistor problem as well, or am I looking at two distinct parts?

#12 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 04 November 2003 - 12:51 PM

If things have'nt changed since the Loyale the resistors pack is distinct from the motor and is right in the intake duct behind the glove box. Easy to find. Again, if things have not changed, the resistors are made of naked wires (each one in a loop) becoming very hot and often failing because they come in contact with debris (dry leaves,e tc.) coming thru the intake vents. If things are still like I say, then it's imperative that you clean the intake tube before replacing the pack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users