Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

recomended block heater?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Razz600_*

Guest_Razz600_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2003 - 10:00 PM

Hi all,

I have an 87 GL wagon (ea82) and an 83 Brat (EA81)....any recomendations on block heaters for these vehicles....

am in the middle of moving, and the new place got down to 0 degrees this weekend...want to prevent the block from freezing...haven't had to worry about this since I have been driving Subies.

any help would be appreciated, and even better some personal expeirience.....

thanks...

mark

#2 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 03 November 2003 - 10:26 PM

Subaru make a pretty good block heater that screws into the engine block.

#3 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 03 November 2003 - 11:10 PM

I have a Japaneese engine in mine (either remanufactured or one that was pulled from a car there because of the mileage thing) that won't allow a screw in block heater. Considered a tank heater but had bad experiences with them on another vehicle - you have to mount them quire low to ensure proper flow or they just heat a small amount of fluid and shut off - so I opted for an oil pan heater and siliconed it on with high temp (red) silicone. Should work fine - if it ever gets cold here. Think snow!

#4 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,629 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 04 November 2003 - 08:17 AM

Not installed yet. I'll put it on when I get back to Montana. My car hasn't needed one because we have a heated garage. This winter the poor thing will have to live outside 'cause I'm going to work on my airplane in MY garage slot.

Actually, I bought the heater for my last plane, but then sold it down to SoCal before I installed the pad.

#5 Dante

Dante

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 04 November 2003 - 03:39 PM

Check out http://www.engineheaters.com/

I have the Proheat Model 512 on my VW TDI. It is basically a peel-and-stick 250 watt heating element that you stick on your oil pan.

http://www.enginehea...ve=/product.gif

#6 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,629 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 04 November 2003 - 04:00 PM

and clamping it to the e-brake at night too ... but that's for ME!

#7 Martin

Martin

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • Victoria, BC, Canada

Posted 14 November 2003 - 04:19 PM

yeah, the subaru ones that thread into the block are good... except that it seems impossible to remove the plug once the car is older!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users