Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dash brake light staying on

Hey guys, the dummy light for the parking brake and brake fluid level is staying on now with the cold weather. I know this topic has been discussed before but I couldn't find it when I did a search. Dose anyone remember what the cure for this is?

Caleb,

It's my Legacy, and they don't have the feature that tells you that you have brake light out or atleast I don't think it dose. Anyway the light dose go out when I restart the car when it's warm enough. I also check the break light in the back when the dash light was on. they were both working.

Craig, there is a dash bulb to indicate rear brake light failure. Will come on if ONE bulb is gone and the brake is depressed, with the engine running.

I would second Texan's motion and bleed the brake system thouroughly. Castrol DOT4 "Response" serves me very well!

Want some advice on what to check or should we keep trying to figure out what lights you do or don't have? :argue:

Make sure the level in your brake fluid reservoir is not below the low mark, or even sitting on the low mark. If that is case first check all the brake pads to make sure they aren't worn out. If they are not worn out fill the reservoir to about half way.

Also, unthread the cap for the reservoir and make sure the thin rubber membrane that is supposed to be sticking down is actually sticking down. With the drop in temp that may have inverted itself and could cause problems.

Give those a try and see what happens. (FWIW this is basically what a dealer service rep would tell you if you called and asked)

BTW, what year legacy?