Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A heads up that newer sube owners should check out

Just wanted to give a heads up to newer subaru owners especially 95 and up legacy's. I work at a shop that we sell, service, and parts subarus and I run the parts end of the business. I am starting to see a huge increase in fuel filler neck sales. What happens is the sheild that is supposed to protect the filler neck traps mud and all kinds of debris and then retains water and rots out the bottom section of the filler neck. My personal remedy for mine was to cut a window in the lower most section of the sheild, but other options would be to remove it. I will post pics when I think to get my car on the lift and take my camera to work. Just with gas prices and everything it would suck to pull up to the pump, start fillin and loose half of what you are putting in all over the place.

It has happened to several of us. Here is another thread.

However, on my 97 OB, the point that rotted out was not at the bottom of the "U" as I expected. It was higher up, between the wheel well and the fuel filler pipe. Right at the lower edge of the wheel well, below the mid attachment point of the pipe. That's where the dirt was lodged. The plastic shield wasn't directly the cause in my case. As a point of interest, my ex's 99 Honda Odyssey uses a plastic fuel filler pipe.

The part is ridiculously priced in Canada. The dealer quoted me $220 Cdn. :eek: I could have ordered it out of the States, but I ended up fixing mine with a piece of hose for now. That turned into a challenge, as the pipe is approx. 1-5/8" OD. That's a tough size to find.

Commuter

It has happened to several of us. Here is another thread.

However, on my 97 OB, the point that rotted out was not at the bottom of the "U" as I expected. It was higher up, between the wheel well and the fuel filler pipe. Right at the lower edge of the wheel well, below the mid attachment point of the pipe. That's where the dirt was lodged. The plastic shield wasn't directly the cause in my case. As a point of interest, my ex's 99 Honda Odyssey uses a plastic fuel filler pipe.

The part is ridiculously priced in Canada. The dealer quoted me $220 Cdn. :eek: I could have ordered it out of the States, but I ended up fixing mine with a piece of hose for now. That turned into a challenge, as the pipe is approx. 1-5/8" OD. That's a tough size to find.

Commuter

I just replaced mine. Cost would have worked out to be around $120 CDN including shipping (from Jason at Auburn). I wasn't about to take chances with the wife and kids.

I could not believe how much crud was wedged between the shield and the filler pipe. From dirt to course gravel. I guess that's what happens when you pass the pipe through the wheel well. I put the shield back on, but will make an effort to clean it better in the car wash. Even if I don't, it should outlast the rest of the car.

jim

• 5 years later...

Vehicles susceptible to this problem are:

Legacy: Wagon and Sedan versions of all Legacy models including Outback from 1990 all the way up to 2004 IIRC.

Impreza: Wagon, Coupe and Sedan versions of all Impreza models including Outback Sport, WRX, and STI, from 1993 to current model year as far as I know.

Forester: All Forester models from 1998 to Current model year.

It's in the passenger rear wheel well. You're likely not see the rust without first removing the plastic cover, but if you can smell raw fuel there's a good chance the filler pipe is rusted out.

This one I replaced earlier this week. It literally left a puddle on the shop floor under the car.

1324271873.jpg

:cool: this revived thread reminds me to list some stuff I have off of several 95-96 Legacy parts cars as well as the filler neck (is there an associated valve- emission related?) in for sale. As I am new to site, was appalled :eek: to see the amt of rust and corrosion other parts of the country have to deal with in working on cars. Sure there’s Mag chloride on the roads here, nothing like what is seen in pix or described in routine brake jobs for example. I'll gladly take the hail storms (run!) or wind gusts (hide!) over the Red menace

Vehicles susceptible to this problem are:

Legacy: Wagon and Sedan versions of all Legacy models including Outback from 1990 all the way up to 2004 IIRC.

Impreza: Wagon, Coupe and Sedan versions of all Impreza models including Outback Sport, WRX, and STI, from 1993 to current model year as far as I know.

Forester: All Forester models from 1998 to Current model year.

It's in the passenger rear wheel well. You're likely not see the rust without first removing the plastic cover, but if you can smell raw fuel there's a good chance the filler pipe is rusted out.

This one I replaced earlier this week. It literally left a puddle on the shop floor under the car.

1324271873.jpg

Gee, that doesn't leave much else