Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What rotors and pads to use?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 elmwood22

elmwood22

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Deerwood

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:57 AM

Hello everyone,
Looking into getting the rotors and pads replaced on my 1995 legacy l wagon in the next few weeks. Just wondering what you know of brembo rotors. Any thoughts on 'em? I found these at 1/3 less than the oems. Also, what types or make of rotor are subaru oems? Japan? I plan on replacing the front and rear pads, while turning the rear and replacing the front rotors. This should take care of the slight vibration/shimmy when braking at 55-60mph. Also, I am looking for a "good" rotor and pads, something that will last. I am not hard on brakes so I am hoping to get 60-80k out of them after getting them replaced. In the past this is what I have gotten out of my brakes.
Thanks

#2 2X2KOB

2X2KOB

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • Midstate MO

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:14 AM

Have had good luck with Brembo rotors and Akebono pads, and I'm sure that next time I need them I'll buy them again.

#3 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 08 October 2006 - 03:11 AM

Yep, Brembo rotors are good.

I prefer Mintex brake pads.

#4 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,187 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:56 AM

those who know say not ot turn subaru rotors, especially the rear. they are unvented and don't do well. the rears are really cheap anyway. but again, they say not to do it.

Hello everyone,
Looking into getting the rotors and pads replaced on my 1995 legacy l wagon in the next few weeks. Just wondering what you know of brembo rotors. Any thoughts on 'em? I found these at 1/3 less than the oems. Also, what types or make of rotor are subaru oems? Japan? I plan on replacing the front and rear pads, while turning the rear and replacing the front rotors. This should take care of the slight vibration/shimmy when braking at 55-60mph. Also, I am looking for a "good" rotor and pads, something that will last. I am not hard on brakes so I am hoping to get 60-80k out of them after getting them replaced. In the past this is what I have gotten out of my brakes.
Thanks

#5 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,866 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:33 AM

I had the dreaded shimmy at braking. I used a discounted online Subie site to order genuine Subaru parts and replaced front rotors and pads on all 4 using the provided shims and grease. Shimmy gone, happy chappy.:banana:

#6 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:48 AM

Don't know the brand, but the rear rotors on my Forester are made in Japan -- it's stamped on the inside of the parking braking drum.

I'm going the Brembo rotors and Akebono Pads on the Subaru, though I think Bendix rotors (made in the USA) are probably superior but more difficult to find and more expensive. With ceramic pads, Akebono has the market cornered.

#7 ericem

ericem

First Gen Legacy Master

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • CANADA Maple,ON

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

hey guys, you know how the rear rotors are not usually vented, is it possible a vented disc will work in the rear? Or do i need a new caliper? And brembo rotors are recommended here?

#8 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:26 AM

You would need new calipers as there are no vented rotors in production that would fit the Subaru rear configuration. A vented rotor in the rear is not really necessary because they contribute only 10-15% to total braking force.

My mother-in-law's '97 Cherokee is fit with rear vented rotors -- it's a heavier car -- but I don't know that they're really all that necessary. The next generation of Grand Cherokees (99-04) have solid rear rotors.

#9 Mikevan10

Mikevan10

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Lehigh Valley

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:33 AM

I am curious as to what the drawback is to turning Subaru rotors (as long as the cut rotor is above minimum thickness).

Mike V.

#10 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:44 AM

Sounds like a myth ?

#11 ericem

ericem

First Gen Legacy Master

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • CANADA Maple,ON

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:57 AM

I am curious as to what the drawback is to turning Subaru rotors (as long as the cut rotor is above minimum thickness).

Mike V.

i wouldnt bother, your brakes need to be replaced when they warp, its a waste of time to turn them. They might work at the beginning but then they will warp again, much sooner.

#12 ericem

ericem

First Gen Legacy Master

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • CANADA Maple,ON

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:00 AM

I found these brembo drilled and slotted rotors, they seem real cheap but they dont specifie if they are 14", and do you think they are good quality?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/S...1QQcmdZViewItem

#13 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:14 AM

Not that can of worms again :rolleyes:
My money (for what it's worth) is on stock or slotted. No drillies.
Even on cars with proper cast holes or factory drilled holes, you're asking for trouble in the snow belt, too.

#14 ericem

ericem

First Gen Legacy Master

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • CANADA Maple,ON

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:22 AM

Not that can of worms again :rolleyes:
My money (for what it's worth) is on stock or slotted. No drillies.
Even on cars with proper cast holes or factory drilled holes, you're asking for trouble in the snow belt, too.

why u say that? But i guess it makes sense. Think i should just get OEM brakes or get the brembos that arent slotted or drilled just vented?

#15 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:30 AM

Straight vented Brembos would be fine. I personally like the slotted ones, as I stated, but not everyone agrees. If you decide to go with a more aggressive pad (one that likes some heat in it), then slotted will help give you more bite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users