Ultimate Subaru Message Board

thinking of doing my first lift

espey_16

Has anyone come up with a 6 inch lift for an EA-81 yet, I havnt been around for a while so I dont know.

I think SJR may be working on one, but as far as I know you're gonna have to build your own. I end up building mine... and to tell you the truth, I'm rebuilding the motor right now and I'm probably going up another 3-4 inches

Okay. One of my Subarus is going bye-bye and I can't bear the thought of having only two Subes. I have access to several EA82 wagons for dirt cheap. I might get one and lift it. I will probably go all-out on this one. I'm talkin' 6" lift and big 'ol meats. I need to know what to look out for. Besides the basic lift kit (I'll buy one, not build it), what will I need? What size tires do most folks run? And I DID read the stickies and stuff...I just want to know what most people have found success with...Is a 10" lift and t-case reasonable? How often will I go through wheel bearings, etc.?

Thanks, guys.

-Tyler

I have found

27" tires max for a EA82 with stock gearing , its still to high geared,

if you want " big ole meets" go with the transfercase min lift 8", 10" is not unreasonable , with bigger tires and lower gears the axles and stub shafts will be under greater stress/failure

myself Im building up a EA82 in the shop , it has a transfercase for lower gears will end up with 8 " or 9 " lift, will run 27"- 30" tires

weight and lack of low gearing seem to be the biggest drawback with the stock setup

now if you never want to crawl up steep hills and mainly stay on the flats stock gears and big tires are ok SJR

Okay. One of my Subarus is going bye-bye and I can't bear the thought of having only two Subes. I have access to several EA82 wagons for dirt cheap. I might get one and lift it. I will probably go all-out on this one. I'm talkin' 6" lift and big 'ol meats. I need to know what to look out for. Besides the basic lift kit (I'll buy one, not build it), what will I need? What size tires do most folks run? And I DID read the stickies and stuff...I just want to know what most people have found success with...Is a 10" lift and t-case reasonable? How often will I go through wheel bearings, etc.?

Thanks, guys.

-Tyler

dont even THINK about tcase, or high, or big tires, if you want to buy not build your lift, unless you have tons of money. Alot of custom fab work to your vehicle needs to be done for anything much higher than 4" if you want it to be good safe and durable.

As far as wheel bearings and stuff go it depends how you treat them and what kind of offset your rims have, and how tall your tires are. with the right offset and as long as you dont go huge on tires they will be fine. I'm running 29" tsl/sx swampers on my wagon(6" front lift and about 8-9" in rear) and I put about 5000 miles with no signs of any suspension or drivetrain problems(except the puny oem 1981 clutch) caused by the tires. When I initially built my lift it was somewhat flawed and I trashed 2 transmission mounts and came close to crushing a couple lift blocks, but that wasnt cause of the tires that was caused by my lack of patience and intelligence when I built it. Same deal goes for balljoints, dont overdo the tires and get the right offset rims. Other than that I cant think of many other original parts that failed due to my modifications(yet).

Hope that helps, alot of the struggle you'll probably find out on your own. If I'm not making much sense its cause I'm somewhat sick and feverish and been working all morning.

Good luck

Thanks, guys.

I think 4" will suffice.

Then again, I can get a '92 Legacy for *free* and lift that...but that's fodder for another thread, another time...

lifting legacies is hard, and expensive. and they're much bigger cars than an EA82. and they don't have lo range.....

The imp/legacy lifts are almost ready to market. . .They have the same wheel base as an ea82 car.With an ej adapter, they can indeed have low range.So what's your point?

how much are the lifts going to be? AA had a legacy lift, but it was substantially more expensive than an EA lift, and still required outback struts to clear the tires.

the ej adapter, and modified linkage, and a custom driveshaft...

I'm meant bigger as in heavier.

if you're going to use an EJ car to wheel, make it an impreza.