Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wiring Q's and odd electronics

I have a DL which as those with DL's know left somthing to be desired in the dash area, my DL dash is at 214,000 miles and i have a GL parts car and dash with 216,000 which gives me 2000 miles to figure out how to get the GL dash in the DL, which brings me to the purpose of this post

1, has anyone done this conversion on an EA-82, and if you have should i give up now.

2, Does anyone have any wireing diagrams or FSM's that they could either post, sell, or let me borrow,i'll gladly pay shipping and a deposit if thats an issue.

3, is the GL and the DL computer different, if i switch the front wiring harness will i also have to switch the computer.

4, the sensors for the fuel, speed, rpm, oil, volts and temp, are they already used by the engine or do i also need to find some sensors like the oil pressure sensor that i already know i need.

if you could follow that, first give yourself a pat on the back, and then if anyone has any ideas, help or warnings, i'm all ears.

i have some answers.

1. I don't know

2. i have some but I need to get to work, I'll have them up in 12hrs or so.

3. Not that I am aware of.

4. I know that oil pressure is different, since you would be going from a dummy light to a gage. You might need to swap out the engine wiring harness too.

Oil pressure guage shouldn't be a problem. Get an oil sender unit and replace the pressure switch. My son and I went the other way (remove guage, install switch on his DL Brat) without any wiring changes required when we installed his rebuilt motor. Of course, he had the correct wiring for the pressure switch in the car already. In retrospect, I don't think I helped you with this, sorry. ---Ed---

Any comment is help, thanks Ed. i just mapped out the back of the dash, both sides with the round connectors and the center section, for all the door open lites and the such, it would be nice to get those all to work although i could live with out a few, but 4wd and the hi beams are pretty necessary.

So here's what i did, i tore out the entire dash, and swapped it with the other car, not just the insturment cluster but the entire dash, took about a day and all i have left is the headlight and wiper switch but other than that she's good to go, the oil pressure dosn't work but i'm working on that.

• 9 years later...