Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

92 Loyale issue....?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 iteamsubaru

iteamsubaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • West Linn

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:30 AM

Ok so I have a 1992 Loyale non turbo with the 5spd. She has 389k and some change on her. Today I was going down the freeway and she died on me. Opened the hood everything looked fine. I pulled the fuel filter and had plenty of fuel. threw some starting fluid down here still nothing. Pulled the cap and there was what I thought was all my problems! There was a screw laying in the bottom of the distributor and the rotor was just spinning there... So I put the screw back in and cap back on and all and turned the key and she fired right up! Then died 3 seconds later... She will start right up every time I turn the key and then dies right after.... I was thinking maybe a clogged fuel line or something between the filter and the throttle body... Should I be able to blow air through that line or not? Any advice on this matter would be very greatly appreciated! Thank you guys very much! I hope your help get her back on the road so I can get her to 400K+:confused:

#2 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:49 AM

For the three seconds its running, is the CEL on?

Sounds like though you have a vacuum leak. Did you unplug any hoses or knock any loose? I know my SPFI would run for a couple seconds then die when I forgot to hook the IAC hose back up :grin:

#3 Prospeeder

Prospeeder

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:15 AM

yea, my car today was doing a simliar thing, starting and then just stalling, i nocked one of the Cam case breather hoses off, lol. so check all the vacuum hoses and PCV hoses.

#4 iteamsubaru

iteamsubaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • West Linn

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:41 AM

Ill look over all of my vacume lines tomorrow and let you guys know! I was dinking around a lot so i very well could of bumped one off!
What is the CEL?
Thanks for the advice guys!

#5 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:27 AM

...What is the CEL?...

"CHECK ENGINE" light on the dashboard. It means that the engine control unit (ECU) detected an error.

#6 Subaru_dude

Subaru_dude

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,479 posts
  • Morristown, TN

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:27 AM

400,000 miles and he's never seen a CEL. Are you sure it's a Subaru? lol

#7 iteamsubaru

iteamsubaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • West Linn

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:39 PM

I have a check engine light? lol
I have never seen it! Its not on when the car is running. Maybe my check engine light bulb is burnt out.. lol This car has not been treated good. I change the oil on it every 10k most the time. All I have ever done to it is chance the timing belts and some gaskets while I was in there. First time ever on a tow truck in its life was yesterday! The car is truely AMASING! Ill let you guys know what I find as far vacume lines!

#8 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:45 PM

You should see the CEL when you turn the key to on, but don't start. Its one of the lights below the gauge cluster.

#9 iteamsubaru

iteamsubaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • West Linn

Posted 01 December 2006 - 03:56 PM

Dont think I have ever seen it......:confused:

#10 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,620 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:18 PM

COUld be how it got to 400,000 on a turbo motor, the CEL is burned out :)

Check for vaccum hoses, and check the ignitor and distrubotor. At that mileage, either one can be way over due for replacement. the ignitor can drive you batty.

nipper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users