Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what year models EA82 have carb vs. FI?

Almost all 87 4WD's will be carbed. The few exceptions may be the CA cars as I beleive they did away with the feedback carb in 87.

86 was the first year for SPFI, but it ONLY came on 2WD GL's and GL-10's

85 2WD GL and GK-10's were MPFI non-turbo.

DL's were carbed till 88 for sure.

87 is a pretty grey year, but most 4WD's were carbed in my experience.

GD

My 86 FSM shows it only on 2WD DLs. Maybe this isn't so in the real world?

One of the few I've actually *seen* was an 86 GL-10 sedan 2WD automatic. I noted it specifically because it was one of the oldest FI's I've seen. It was maroon. It was also at the junk yard, and I think I pulled it's water pump cause it was new. Some of the electrical sure was different - mostly plugs and such though.

GD

Almost all 87 4WD's will be carbed. The few exceptions may be the CA cars as I beleive they did away with the feedback carb in 87.

86 was the first year for SPFI, but it ONLY came on 2WD GL's and GL-10's

85 2WD GL and GK-10's were MPFI non-turbo.

DL's were carbed till 88 for sure.

87 is a pretty grey year, but most 4WD's were carbed in my experience.

GD

Sorry dude, my 87 4wd Loyale wgn was FI, and it could`nt have came from California because it did`nt have the special California emissions unlike my Toya 4-runner...

Sorry dude, my 87 4wd Loyale wgn was FI, and it could`nt have came from California because it did`nt have the special California emissions unlike my Toya 4-runner...

I said "almost", and the only difference between CA and 49 states SPFI is an EGR temp sensor. You wouldn't have noticed it unless you were looking really hard for it. You can't compare it to a 4 Runner ?!?!

Also there's the build date stuff - sometimes 88 models get registered as 87's because of late 87 build date. Depends on the DMV. I just had a 92 Loyale (according to the title) with a late 91 build date.

GD

There is no definate answer to this. There is no yes or no with Subaru models and what year had what. We have proved that wrong too many times on this board.

I had an 86 2wd carbed, and an 86 GL turbo mpfi 4wd dual range not GL-1o or RX, a GL. At the time many board members called BS on me saying it wasn't offered that year.

Going by the year alone isn't going to help much, nor by the model. You will only know when you pop the hood.

I think you could get any combination available with the parts available from Subaru.

Going by the year alone isn't going to help much, nor by the model. You will only know when you pop the hood.
good point frank. i was still looking for some generic info like this though. i had no idea when the EA82 came out and when FI was a possibility. now i have some general idea of when the mix years are at least. i'm an XT6 man, so EA stuff is a little confusing to me sometimes.