Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Nitrous oxide kit in a new gen Subaru?

Any thoughts on nitrous oxide n2o nos in a new gen Subaru? Such as this NOS EFI kit from Summit? Maybe it would be a nice little boost without being too much for the engine and drivetrain to handle?

The kit appears to have various fuel and nitrous jets that you selectively install based on fuel pressure and desired boost level. There's other kits available with larger bottles: seems to cost about $100 extra for 15lb bottle and another $100 for 20lb bottle.

i didnt think "a little boost" was possible on nitrous. Also i do beleive in NY state they changed the law so you can't even get Nox for your car anymore. Now you being in buffalo you may be able to get it from PA. Says its just for the turbo :(

nipper

Thanks as always nipper. I looked directly at nos site and as you said it says that kit is for turbo only as it's the 'wet shot' injecting extra gasoline along with the nitrous.

They also have a 'dry shot' kit for non-turbos 05122NOS but Summit doesn't have it...I'll have to look around. Ths nos site does say "Not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled motor vehicles in the United States."

edit: Summit does have the dry kit. Summit just doesn't list Subaru as an application for the kit, althought the NOS web site does. It ranges various Acura, Honda, etc engines from 1.5L to 2.0L.

One web site I saw indicates the setup relies on the ECU going into open loop air/fuel ratio control at full throttle....anyone know if Subaru 2.2L and 2.5L engines do this?

Thanks as always nipper. I looked directly at nos site and as you said it says that kit is for turbo only as it's the 'wet shot' injecting extra gasoline along with the nitrous.

They also have a 'dry shot' kit for non-turbos 05122NOS but Summit doesn't have it...I'll have to look around. Ths nos site does say "Not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled motor vehicles in the United States."

edit: Summit does have the dry kit. Summit just doesn't list Subaru as an application for the kit, althought the NOS web site does. It ranges various Acura, Honda, etc engines from 1.5L to 2.0L.

One web site I saw indicates the setup relies on the ECU going into open loop air/fuel ratio control at full throttle....anyone know if Subaru 2.2L and 2.5L engines do this?

All OBD engines start off in open loop. Once the car warms up it goes into closed loop.

A dry nitrous system is dangerous. The raw gas helps cools the pistons.

This wont be street legal in any shape size manner or form in NYS, as its grounds for taking your car away.

nipper

Hm...okay thanks guys so it seems that nitrous isn't really anything simply to dabble in. Maybe I'll do some searches on the turbos. I'm assuming ideally you want a turbo motor not just add a turbo to the n/a motor.

Its feasable to run a low boost (5-8psi) setup safely on an n/a motor. With bigger injectors and a good tune it would be safe, reliable and fun.