Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$315 CV Boot Cover Replacement for Legacy???

if you don't know how long the boot has been torn, it's hard to assess how much dirt, etc may have gotten into the joint and is starting to wear parts.

Hint: totally disassemble and clean all the parts, inspect EVERYTHING, any deformity, or marking, of "the stuff" in there means new joint time (or at least new/different parts, to assemble a working/quiet joint). Place the supplied grease in the joint as you assemble it, squeezing grease at an assembled joint then trying to fit the boot doesn't work, and doesn't clean it out, not unless you are very lucky.

It was a real mess

I can attest to it not being a situation where a "hard collar shirt" and tie are appropriate wear. You need rags, lots of rags, and you WILL be throwing them out. This is dirtier than front end work, but spending $12 for a new boot, rather than buying a new/re-built axle has it's own appeal.

Not clicking, a mystery vibration also counts. i have that now so its going to be replaced, as the inner CV is causing a vibration that comes and goes.

nipper

I have a slightly embarassing update on my CV/Axle repair. My Legacy is amazingly quiet on the highway now:rolleyes: It's amazing what I tend to get used to and ignore...

I was unpleasantly surprised by a torn CV boot while my tires were being checked:mad: It happened sometime over the winter when I was plowing through some deep snow:rolleyes: Two shops have told me that I should pay the $315+ to get the axle replaced at the same time the CV boot cover is replaced. The charge for the CV boot cover only is $270!

I really don’t want to spend that money on a 12 year old car and I recall torn CV boot covers being replaced for considerably less (not my first CV boot cover). Am I being taken for a ride? The 95 AWD Legacy L Wagon has 150,000+ miles on the original axles. What would you do? Can I get by with a cheaper solution? Keep greasing the axle? CV boot solution that doesn’t require axle removal?

Maybe I should stop beating on my Subie:-\

Easier to just replace the axle, axle should cost no more than $120 plus one hour labor at the most.

Not clicking, a mystery vibration also counts. i have that now so its going to be replaced, as the inner CV is causing a vibration that comes and goes.

nipper

Nipper,

Are you getting any out of the ordinary tire wear on that side that needs the CV? I just had my 98 OBW in the shop for them to find the cause of some vibration that recently developed. They said everything was fine....said the tires need to go....

Nipper,

Are you getting any out of the ordinary tire wear on that side that needs the CV? I just had my 98 OBW in the shop for them to find the cause of some vibration that recently developed. They said everything was fine....said the tires need to go....

No my tires are fine.

(so far)

nipper

i've never seen CV's cause improper tire wear. coming from the guy who has put 50,000 miles on front CV's that click while driving straight...i've driven on some horrible axles before. just got done replacing one last week as well. at times it had a solid vibration while driving straight and clicked like crazy. tires wear perfect on that one and all my previous ones as well. if it's a standard broken boot CV issue, i dont' think that's going to cause your tire problems. if it's a previously replaced aftermarket axle then this may not hold, i only use Subaru or MWE axles.

i've never seen CV's cause improper tire wear. coming from the guy who has put 50,000 miles on front CV's that click while driving straight...i've driven on some horrible axles before. just got done replacing one last week as well. at times it had a solid vibration while driving straight and clicked like crazy. tires wear perfect on that one and all my previous ones as well. if it's a standard broken boot CV issue, i dont' think that's going to cause your tire problems. if it's a previously replaced aftermarket axle then this may not hold, i only use Subaru or MWE axles.

Sounds more like a wheel bearing, and those can happen at the same time, a cv joint and a wheel bearing.

What was the pattern of wear on the tire?

nipper

Just found that I have a torn outer boot on my IMP OBW. Passenger side. I looked around and confirmed that $60 for Auto Zone reman axle, $35 core charge, so $95 until the core gets returned. From reading this, should only be an hour's labor or so... Not sure that I want to tackle it myself... Don't have all the needed tools, sockets, etc...

Glad I found this tread.. . I've not been on in awhile.