Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need help with stuck camshaft bolt

I am replacing the water pump in my SVX and I am having a hard time removing the driver's side camshaft bolt.

I am using a 3 foot breaker bar and it's not budging. I started to round off the bolt. I bought the SEARS bolt remover and I am having trouble using it. The one that fits the bolt starts to bite and then it slips off. I filed the bolt and was able to make is a 16mm head. Still no go. What is the torque spec for this bolt. Any recommendations for getting it off.

I am afraid to use heat b/c of the cam pulley.

:Flame:

BW

6 point sockets for sure.

heat won't hurt it, just dont' get crazy, the sprocket is steel/iron anyway. heck at this point you probably wouldn't care to just buy another sprocket if you had to! i'd try heat and PB blaster.

I got it filed down to a 16mm size. It is stuck on there so tight that I spun the tips on two extensions :eek: and cracked a bunch of socket. Also killed my rachet.

Good thing it's got a lifetime warranty.

I did heat/liquid wrench/tap cycle a few times. I am gonna call it quits for now and get my rachet replaced. Let is sit overnight and then have at it tomorrow.

BW

wow, that's some serious carnage for a cam sprocket bolt, i wonder if someone had it off before and did something funky to it? sounds bizarre.

i'd be looking for an impact wrench to borrow. i'm wondering how you're holding the cam in place while putting that much torque on it?

good luck, sounds frustrating but you're hanging in there so far!

I have a friend with an 18 volt electric impact gun. Hopefully that will be enough.

I am using 3/8 socket stuff. But this might be a reason for me to upgrade to 1/2 stuff. :banana:

I am holding the cam gear by wrapping the old timing belt around it once and then overlapping the belt on top of itself. Then looping it onto a pulley. I will take a picture as it is hard to describe. But basically as the bolt is moved, the belt will tighten and keep the gear from spinning.

after my last post, I have taken left it overnight w/ PB blaster in it. Let's see what happens.

BW

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banana: :banana:

I went outside to start working on it and it still doesn't turn.

I read on the SVX forums and NASIOC about using a dremel and a cutoff wheel to remove the washer area. I figures since the bolt is already screwed, I might as well give it a shot.

Trimmed off the washer area of the bolt and it came off with a pair of pliers.

You have to be careful when you trim it b/c you don't want to damage the gear.

Thanks all for your input. :headbang:

Time to return to the SEAR Bolt-remover b/c it doesn't work.

BW

sweet momma, good job.

thanks for letting us know, that's good info to have. you really found something that helpful on NASIOC...how much reading and bashing did that require!?!?!?

NICE.

The thread was about the cam bolt on a WRX motors strip out all of the time.

from what I saw, the clamping force on this bolt is from the washer area.

Will take pics tomorrow. I am just waiting for the water pump to come.

BW

that's great, i understand exactly what you mean about the washer area under the bolt.

i wasn't that impressed with the sears bolt out kit either, i returned it as well. it would have worked for something "easy" (my definition of easy), but it didn't really put any more grunt on than i could get via other methods.

Yeah....

I should have suggested that!

I just did the same thing to a Head bolt.

Once you trim the spot where the bolt meets the washer, it relieves all the tension holding everything together, and you don't need to get too close to the head/sprocket/whatever other part is stuck to do it.

Where would any of us be w/o the Dremel tool?:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: