Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HORRIBLE Camber/Strut Replacement?

So a long while ago, I was having a lil off road/rally fun.....and at the time the car was perfectly alighned.....it severely messed up the alighment causing the front tires to wear all the way to the threads over the next few weeks.....So today I got BRAND NEW EXHUAST!!! AND new tires and an alignment. However, the mechanic said theres is no way to adjust the camber on the vehicle. (92 Loyale 5spd. 4WD.) He thought that the strut was bent, causing most of the problem.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I replace the struts or what? Junkyard or new?

I say put the car up on stands, loosen all the suspension bolts and fudge in as much neg camber as you can. There really is NO factory adjustment points for camber on these cars. Its nice because you just throw your suspension on and drive, but you also get stupid tire wear. I have the problem about 50% beat on my EA81. I installed 2WD struts which have about an inch lower spring perch as compared to a 4WD strut and I now have ZERO DEGREES OF CAMBER, WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!! :banana: :banana:

This would only work on a street only 'ru since lowering an offroader would do you no good.

I say put the car up on stands, loosen all the suspension bolts and fudge in as much neg camber as you can. There really is NO factory adjustment points for camber on these cars. Its nice because you just throw your suspension on and drive, but you also get stupid tire wear. I have the problem about 50% beat on my EA81. I installed 2WD struts which have about an inch lower spring perch as compared to a 4WD strut and I now have ZERO DEGREES OF CAMBER, WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!! :banana: :banana:

This would only work on a street only 'ru since lowering an offroader would do you no good.

I am a street only 'ru (from now on :dead: ) But I would still like to keep factory height. What are your thoughts on used struts from a donor vehicle? How hard are they to replace for a mechanically inclined 17 year old? Do i need a spring compressor?

My camber is supposed to be at like 1.75 but it is at 3.56 or something like that.

Replacing the struts is fairly simple. On your ea82 you've got three nuts up top and one or two on the bottom. And the brake line attached to it. Some pb blast and the right sized wreches is all you really need. Other than a floor jack and lug wrench of course.

Mechanicaly inclined 17 yr old... you shouldn't have too much trouble other then if you get in a spot you just don't know, sometimes it is easier to just STOP, and putter on something else till you get the answer and on this board that doesn't take very long.

I can sheepishly raise my hands and give some input... as I have replaced everything on the front of my 84 Brat... just havn't finished the eng. clutch to see how my front end job went.... and mechanicaly inclined, but not in cars and I did... O.K.:rolleyes:

I always like going new....but those attachments have been waneing since I have a parts car and man.... that is a cheap fix and if it looks straight... what the heck...

Yes, need spring compressor after removing struts and I layed a tire over the assembly as I unloaded and loaded the spring... and face shield,... I bought a Harbor Freight cheapo spring compressor... it worked and that's all I needed it to do.

I did one side at a time, mark your springs up, down, front back as they should go back in the same way they came out. I noticed on my Brat there were all ready paint marks to reference the position but didn't notice till I started the other side D'oh..:-\ so had to go back and re-do.

Didn't take anymore tools then the usuall and you could probably rent a spring compressor. While I was doing my struts I changed strut upper mounting plate, Leading rod bushings, stabilizer bush, lower control arm bush and ball joint... as all were wore out and had some overtime cash..

The first side took awhile.. the second about 1/2 the time and now I could probably do it 4x faster...

Spray your bolts down with panther piss or what ever to help get them off... that's the hard part.

It was a great learning experience for me.

Get the new KYB struts, got em very happy better ride, not too expensive (about $130 aussie dollars each). About 4 hours to replace both sides with no air tools. Might be worth doing bottom ball joints at same time? Just my experience