Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

how much should it cost?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 floater

floater

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:50 PM

I can't get my rear differential plugs out. I don't want to spend any more time on it. Going to take it in. What should I expect to pay for a drain and fill?

#2 svxpert

svxpert

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:28 PM

I can't get my rear differential plugs out. I don't want to spend any more time on it. Going to take it in. What should I expect to pay for a drain and fill?

what are you using to get them out? being a CA car, shouldn't be too much rust/corrosion.

#3 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,572 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:29 PM

I can't get my rear differential plugs out.

Once upon a time mine were super tight too. Couldn't break them loose by hand. So I got a 1/2" drive breaker bar, 14" long, and rigged the car jack under it. Nice even pressure and the plugs quickly started to loosen. Just had to keep changing the blocking under the jack to keep the pressure as perpendicular to the breaker bar as possible--lotta force there, could be dangerous if it slipped.

#4 wtdash

wtdash

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • N. ID

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:35 PM

To answer your question, I paid $19.99 for the drain and fill for the rear (and the front) including the gear oil.

I used a breaker bar too. They were very tight on my 'new' (to me) '91 VLSD when I recently checked it.

#5 floater

floater

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:18 PM

I used a breaker bar, wd40, pb blast, put a 3 ton floor jack under the breaker bar and all it didn't do anything but start to move the car up in the air. The funny thing is I removed these 36k miles ago to change the gear oil myself and torqued it down. I do take the car up in the snow in the winter. Anyway, I figure its worth it to let someone else get them out.

#6 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • West Grove, PA

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:23 PM

I paid 60.00 for front and back dif

#7 eryque

eryque

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:28 PM

FWIW, I think the Valvoline quick-change places here charge $15.99

#8 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,751 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:10 PM

i asked a shop to loosen mine for me so i could do it myself. they didn't charge me. but now i'd do what you said, just pay a few dollars to have it done. that's very odd that the jack under the handle didn't get it loose. i'd bet it wasn't perpendicular or was bending too much, that is bizarre for it be that tight.

#9 ericem

ericem

First Gen Legacy Master

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • CANADA Maple,ON

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:24 PM

Maybe you need a torch :Flame:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users