Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why does my oil dipstick keep popping out!?

Bene may be correct, but my check mark goes beside a PCV valve wanting changed.

It is allowing the crankcase to build pressure.

If you get the dip stick to stick you will be asking for a seal to blow out (cam seals are good for this)

Please note, there have been problems with aftermarket PCV valves esp. on turbo cars. This is one place where a genuine part is highly recco'd

Hope this helps

Thanks everyone. :D

Just to confirm the '86 EA82T has 3 "blowby" hoses (one from the block and one from each valve cover) but only 1 PCV valve (in the passenger side "blowby" hose below the intake tubing), right? The reason I ask is that I downloaded that '89 EA82 service manual, and the '89s also have the three hoses but the PCV appears to be in a completely different location.

Originally posted by Skip

Please note, there have been problems with aftermarket PCV valves esp. on turbo cars. This is one place where a genuine part is highly recco'd

Hope this helps

Hello Skip,

I'll be doing a bit of searching now on this subject but could you point me to a post or two about this problem? I have been having some oil leak issues on my XT6 for years (like who doesn't on old school subarus?) and it seems everytime one leak is fixed, another springs up. My dipstick used to come out all the time also. After having that rubber ring on the dipstick replaced, it doesn't come out anymore but another leak sprung up not to long afterward on my oil pump. The oil pump is new as well as the gaskets and have been fixed twice.

I have replaced my PCV valve with an aftermarket unit from Pep Boys. That's why I wanted to know more information on what you stated above. This is the first time I've heard (read) about this so I'm concerned. Why are the aftermarket units faulty and what name brands seemed to be the ones at fault?

Originally posted by Skip

Kevin, it was established (probably on the old board) that the genuine Subaru part was the only part to use.

ALL aftermarket units are to be suspect.

Thanks Skip! Trust me, I don't take your advice with a grain of salt. I'll just stick with a Subaru PCV valve for now on instead of the Pep Boys brand. ;)

Ok...just installed a brand new genuine Subaru PCV valve, reseated the oil dipstick, fired up the car and let it warm up, revved the car several times (enough to at least get a little boost going)...and...it popped up again!? :-\

I guess I'll take GLCraigGT's suggestion next and make sure all the PCV/blowby hoses are unobstructed and free of leaks.

Any other suggestions if that's not the problem (before I try messing with the dipstick itself)?