Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 VS sammy?

Uberoo

Well, I've owned two of them, and I'm no hairdresser. And Jared drives one right now as a daily driver. I thought Jared was a Soldier in the Marine Corps, but I guess he's a hairdresser now.

edit* I checked your "photos" tab, and nothing. Can't really say you have anything to show as for your off roading expertise or knowledge. Search around a bit, you'll see the two of us have wheeled quite a few Soobs in quite a few places. My sig at another forum is: "I've off roaded more Soobs than anyone." And I have.

You're not making friends here pal.

I'm sorry for having offended you.

But I guess You've taken this too personaly. I just said what I think about subaru's offroad. You are probably right about that I don't have that much experience with offroading at all.

And about the hairdresser's car.. I was trying to make a joke. (The hair dresser statement is actualy a quote from wheeler dealers on Discovery channel) I was asking for a reaction and I did get it :P After all I have stated that I love subaru's on and off road. (this is a subaru forum isn't it?)

Btw. I'm not much of a video/picture guy but you can watch a few videos on youtube taken with my cellphone :P (search for subybrat) Also my post count is only in the 50's So I'm realy not that active on this forum. Anyway I'll leave this post alone.

Thanks

Martin

Jared drives one right now as a daily driver. I thought Jared was a Soldier in the Marine Corps, but I guess he's a hairdresser now.

i didn't tell you eric? i switched professions... i'm not poor because i'm not working and a full time college student. i just suck at cutting hair! :lol: :-p

It all depends on how and where you are going to wheel. A moddified subaru would be about distroyed running say, Prichart Canyon in Moab. A lightly modded Samari would make it out with out much breakage if any, might flop it on its side a time or two, but they can handle a lot more abuse.

Ain't no lightly modified Sammi gettin out the top of Prichett.

It's going to take more than light modifications to complete Prichett in a Sammi.

There is a reason you don't see Subarus off the pavement in Moab.:mad:

My experience:

Been playing with Samurais for a number of years. Owned 3, built 8 for various goals.

With Subarus I also have a number of years of experience. Owned 4, never "built" any, except my current 88 RX.

My Opinion:

As stated earlier, it depends on what your ultimate goal is. Living in the desert, I came across situations in both the sammy and the suby that left me thinking, "I wish I had the other one..."

Fast driving on dirt roads, trails, etc.. Soobs rock. The independant suspension is soft enough to absorb most of the roughness, and lends a definite advantage in controlling the vehicle. Hill climbs are easier, if for no other reason than just more power. They land much nicer when you happen to get all 4 tires off the ground...

When it comes to real uneven terrain, rock trails, gnarly ruts, etc. the Sammy will win every time. The downside to the Sammy is high speed stability. I've laid over 2 of them, doing around 30mph through the desert, where a Suby would have slid a little or not lost it at all. Fast driving over washboard SUCKS in a sammy.. unless you have done a coil spring conversion, but that rules out the "cheap" side of building it. Sammy's rock in mud, and as stated earlier WILL float when set up right.. I know from experience. Zuks float on mud, jeeps and subarus sink when it's deeper than the rocker panels.. Period.

If you want a nice all around wheeler, build a Subaru. As long as you dont plan on throwing anything gnarly at it, like MOAB... or similar, and as long as you dont expect to go everywhere the solid axle guys do, then you will have a long enjoyable relationship with the Subaru.

If you plan on eventually hitting some hard stuff and for the most part NOT driving on the highway, really getting into wheeling and lifting and locking things, start with a zook.. they arent as expensive to build as people think, as long as you have more brains than money...

I thought subaru wagons floated?Anyway My next off road vehicle will probally be a mid 80's to early 90's Mitsubishi Montero.But that will be when I not only can afford one but when I want a trail rig/daily driver/go skiing with vehicle and a car for fast roads...

yea it doesnt have the aftermarket support as a sammy but they are literally bomb proof.

Excelent write up ,

they are both different well written

My experience:

Been playing with Samurais for a number of years. Owned 3, built 8 for various goals.

With Subarus I also have a number of years of experience. Owned 4, never "built" any, except my current 88 RX.

My Opinion:

As stated earlier, it depends on what your ultimate goal is. Living in the desert, I came across situations in both the sammy and the suby that left me thinking, "I wish I had the other one..."

Fast driving on dirt roads, trails, etc.. Soobs rock. The independant suspension is soft enough to absorb most of the roughness, and lends a definite advantage in controlling the vehicle. Hill climbs are easier, if for no other reason than just more power. They land much nicer when you happen to get all 4 tires off the ground...

When it comes to real uneven terrain, rock trails, gnarly ruts, etc. the Sammy will win every time. The downside to the Sammy is high speed stability. I've laid over 2 of them, doing around 30mph through the desert, where a Suby would have slid a little or not lost it at all. Fast driving over washboard SUCKS in a sammy.. unless you have done a coil spring conversion, but that rules out the "cheap" side of building it. Sammy's rock in mud, and as stated earlier WILL float when set up right.. I know from experience. Zuks float on mud, jeeps and subarus sink when it's deeper than the rocker panels.. Period.

If you want a nice all around wheeler, build a Subaru. As long as you dont plan on throwing anything gnarly at it, like MOAB... or similar, and as long as you dont expect to go everywhere the solid axle guys do, then you will have a long enjoyable relationship with the Subaru.

If you plan on eventually hitting some hard stuff and for the most part NOT driving on the highway, really getting into wheeling and lifting and locking things, start with a zook.. they arent as expensive to build as people think, as long as you have more brains than money...

Sorry I just had to comment about the first video.

I belive than when using one winch in the rear and one in the front as he is using I could have done than with a subaru as well.

But yeah you are right sammy kick subaru. Infact it's a sammy that have the worlds offroad altitude record. :rolleyes: