Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carbonator Question

For all who have experiance with this I have a 79 brat with the 1.6L and it is blowing black smoke off Idle, I swaped the original engine out for an automatic front drive dl wagon engine, Is there any differance in carborators from manual trans 4X4 to auto trans 4X2?

:confused:

any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Eric

79 Brat in Portland eh?? Just sell it to me, and your troubles will be over :grin:

Black smoke..... could it be blue? White would be too rich, or burning coolant..... blue is oil. Black.... well - really dirty oil :confused:

I'm thinking you have bigger probs than the carb. One easy solution would be to install a Weber - no more carb troubles then.

GD

No it isnt burning oil, the smoke is black which means that it is running to rich, I love my brat but I am a Fuel Injection king of guy so I have no idea about carborators, I want to keep the truck for a while but I will let you know when it comes time to get rid of itand get another. ( most likly eill hit severaly trees befor then :drunk: )

( most likly will hit severaly trees before then)

:eek: .........:madder:

You are a bad man.

Please sell it to me BEFORE hitting trees. I have a thing for Gen 1's and would be saddened to see antother needlessly destroyed. It's not like they make them still ya know.....

Seriously - I will buy it. Might have to make payments to you, but I'm well known on the board for paying on time.

GD

the choke opens fully when warm and the black smoke only come out when you hit the throttle hard, thanks for the info on price, would i be better off just rebuilding this carb because I want to swap for an ea81 some time within the next few months with the 5-speed of course.

also is there a difference between the auto carb and the manuel carb on the ea71, with the electronics or something?:-\

Smokes only when you hit the gas hard. Sounds like it pumps a bit too much gas when you hit the throttle. If there's an accelerator pump on your carb, adjust the delivery back a bit.

General Disorder (sorry to heist this post): There's a green gen1 Brat up here in Bothell on my way to work. It's been there for quite a while; I'll see if the guy is interested in selling it. ---Ed---

Thanks for the info got the carb issue fixed, turned out to be the jets were worn out (carb kit from bev napa had one Cheep 30$). still failed deq though for visibale smoke comming from the trany T-case. hopefully this will be gotten to on saturday, shootin for out and in, in one day:burnout: