Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Forester Engine Question-Need to Replace Engine!

After searching the swaps, it looks like a 99 2.2l is the easiest best swap for a 2000 Forester with a manual. Something about the 99 2.2 being a phase II by then, but not much more info than that.

Does anyone else have an opinion?

How much more work is it on a 95 or 96 2.2 manual?

get the 99 2.2 and get the exhaust header as well.

what you'll really want to make sure of is that the EGR systems are identical, it will either have it or not have it. if the 99 in the forester has EGR, you'll want to make sure the 2.2 has it as well.

did you pick that forester up from a dealer? i was looking at one up that way, they never called back. maybe it's because you got it!

No, this one is private party.
hmmm, it was a long shot but would have been cool for you to get it versus someone else. so long as you retain your intake manifold i don't think you'll have a problem installing another year EJ25. i don't think the EJ22 and EJ25 intakes swap so you can't do it that simply.

• 2 years later...
Does anyone know if a 2001 2.2L from an Impreza will swap into a 2000 Forester, MT? My biggest concern is plugging in the wiring harness. I know I'll have to swap y-pipe, tap the starter hole, etc.

Hi,

FYI - best to start a New Thread, rather than hi-jack this old one ('07). I'd check over on 'nasioc.com' and 'subaruforester.org'.

GL,

TD

Does anyone know if a 2001 2.2L from an Impreza will swap into a 2000 Forester, MT? My biggest concern is plugging in the wiring harness. I know I'll have to swap y-pipe, tap the starter hole, etc.

yes, but you'll likely need to swap cam sprockets between the two.

wiring harness won't matter since the forester manifold bolts up to the impreza engine so you'll be using the same harness (not true of all EJ swaps, but this one).