Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ABS Light/Noise HELP!!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 henry_rap

henry_rap

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Allentown

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:07 AM

1995 Legacy - the ABS light came on and stayed on this morning. Also, the hydralic unit in the right front of the engine compartment is running constantly with and with-out the engine being on.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:00 AM

Hi. Sounds like a faulty ABS hydraulic unit relay. There were issues with these sticking thus making the pump run constantly. There is info on endwrench.com about it.

#3 Suzam

Suzam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • Wilmington, Delaware

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:06 AM

You can unplug the ABS unit ***but be aware that this will disable it***. But it may not be working at the moment anyway.

At least that way your battery won't go dead until you figure it out.

#4 henry_rap

henry_rap

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Allentown

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:06 PM

OK - Thanks - Where do I unplug the unit at?

You can unplug the ABS unit ***but be aware that this will disable it***. But it may not be working at the moment anyway.

At least that way your battery won't go dead until you figure it out.

#5 tunered

tunered

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • vincent,ohio

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

Pull your fuse cover off, should be listed there. ed

#6 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:34 PM

I think there are two ABS fuses; one for the controller and one for the hydraulic unit. I think they might also run some other stuff too...

Here's the article from EndWrench I was thinknig of...
ABS Relay Sticking - Legacy, Impreza and SVX through 1996
If you encounter a case of the ABS hydraulic motor continuing to run or buzz when the ignition is off, and/or an illuminated ABS warning light and a Code 52 (faulty hydraulic motor and/or motor relay) stored in memory, follow these steps: Note: This condition may be intermittent and difficult to duplicate.

1. If the ABS hydraulic unit continues to run with the key off, confirm the trouble code, if any, and follow the diagnostic chart in the appropriate service manual.

2. Check the wiring harness to make sure it is not the source of the problem.

3. If you have determined that the ABS hydraulic control unit motor is indeed faulty, replace it with the modified relay, part number 26735AA012 (there will be a white line under the word “Japan” on the case). Always check part number supercession for any changes.

#7 crazyhorse001

crazyhorse001

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • Greeneville

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:32 PM

A lot of owners have had luck by just rapping on the ABS relay with a screwdriver handle, or smacking it with thier hand. Not a permanent fix, but it'll get you through until you can find a new relay.

#8 95LEGOBW

95LEGOBW

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • hither, yon

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:42 PM

I had the same problem as the original poster tonight. On a 95 Legacy Outback Wagon, the ABS light came on at startup, and I heard the hydraulic unit continue running 5 minutes later when I shut down. One tape on the side with a screwdriver handle shut it off. I'll look into it further this weekend. "Check the easy things first."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users