Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New member.... Hi

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 soobwhisperer

soobwhisperer

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • spokane

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:08 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new here and happy to have found ya.
I need to replace a rear drive shaft on a loyale with a M/T and was wondering if i have to replace the entire assembly or just the back half. Also, anyone have one for sale?

Nice to meet ya.................

#2 misledxcracker

misledxcracker

Guy no one ever answers

• Members
  • 846 posts
  • Bullhead City

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:49 PM

Why, hello there.

It's probably easiest (at least in my case it would be) to replace the whole driveshaft assembly.

#3 ivantruckman

ivantruckman

4 inch lift

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • caro, MI.

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:37 PM

dittoes on the whole unit http://www.gck.com/
these guys are an awsome source, good luck

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:53 PM

Easier to just replace the back half - don't have to worry about pulling the front half out of the transmission that way. Although I would still drop the carrier bearing down to work on it. As for getting one.... I'll see what I have laying around and get back to you here.

GD

#5 4WDFrenzy

4WDFrenzy

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:28 PM

Hi and Welcome to the USMB! Probably the best ol' school Subaru forum on the net! Glad to have you here.

As for the driveshaft, I agree with GD on this one. It is easier to replace the back half. When you pull the whole thing, you will lose gear oil from the tail shaft of the transmission. So if the rear half is the only part that is bad, I'd just replace that portion to avoid an oily mess.

-Patrick

#6 TeamCF

TeamCF

Rocker panel smasher

• Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:52 PM

Welcome! :headbang:

#7 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:51 AM

Hey howdy hey, Welcome to USMB. Your in good hands here.

-Tom

#8 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:50 PM

Hi and Welcome to the USMB! Probably the best ol' school Subaru forum on the net! Glad to have you here.

As for the driveshaft, I agree with GD on this one. It is easier to replace the back half. When you pull the whole thing, you will lose gear oil from the tail shaft of the transmission. So if the rear half is the only part that is bad, I'd just replace that portion to avoid an oily mess.

-Patrick

+1

Transmissions can be messy. Replacing the bad back half is the way to go. The only real concern is rust. But you are in eastern WA, so I would think that wouldn't be much of a problem.

#9 soobwhisperer

soobwhisperer

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • spokane

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:30 PM

Easier to just replace the back half - don't have to worry about pulling the front half out of the transmission that way. Although I would still drop the carrier bearing down to work on it. As for getting one.... I'll see what I have laying around and get back to you here.

Well... looks like I'll just do the back. lemme know if you or anybody else has one around..................
THANKS!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users