Ultimate Subaru Message Board

batteries and chargers

You are correct. 2v per cell, 6 cell = 12v.

1 amp charger is a trickle charger, usually they're 2 amp though. Good for maintaning a battery's charge, or for bringing a discharged battery back to life.

Personnally, I like the one I have. 2/10 amp, and a 50amp start selection.

My method of recharging a dead batery is; Hooking up the charger, to battery 1st, then plug it in.

Switch it to the 50 amp setting, until the built in timer kicks it out.

Then drop the setting to the 2 amp mode.

This "excites" the plates, and makes for a faster, and deeper charge. Atleast that's my belief.

Well actually -

A fully charged battery has appx. 12.75 volts.

A battery at 12 volts is almost fully discharged!

Your charger should put out in the range of 14.4 to 14.8 volts to be running most efficiently - not sure about the little 1A chargers, they may run differently.

If you cycle your battery between charged and fully discharged very many times, it will go bad prematurely. Vehicle starting batteries are designed to start the vehicle (duh!) and then be recharged back to full by the alternator. This is why guys with Big Arse Stereos eat batteries.

Hope this helps!

Partsman

88 GL wagon 5spd D/R

Originally posted by Partsman

By the way, what is "jacking the SOA battery?"

Partsman

Good question, my SVX is sporting an SOA battery. I don't think it's original but it does OK, anymore that 2weeks with out starting and it feels a little low. I'm running a NAPA Orbital in my Loyal now, it has a good sence of humer went it comes to having to crank alot. It also does a better job of keeping the volts up when I'm winching.