Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2002 WRX Knocking Sound?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,758 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:16 PM

Last night, our WRX developed a knocking sound in the front of the car, presumably from the engine. It only happens at a partial throttle opening and between 3,000 and 4,200 RPM. If I floor it at those RPMs, it sounds and goes like normal. Same at lower RPM crusing. There is no knocking sound at idle. I changed the oil and filter on Saturday and it is still full and not leaking. Any theories?

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,594 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:30 PM

can you reproduce the knock at will? Is it a deep hollow knock, or a tinny kind of knock?
USe a screw driver or wooden dowel as a stethoscope to try to trace the knock sound.

nipper

#3 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,758 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:01 PM

I was able to reproduce it yesterday, but when I started it up just now to drive four blocks to my house, I'm not sure it made the noise.

Not sure what the pitch of the sound is and won't have access to a stethiscope until Friday.

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,594 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

I was able to reproduce it yesterday, but when I started it up just now to drive four blocks to my house, I'm not sure it made the noise.

Not sure what the pitch of the sound is and won't have access to a stethiscope until Friday.

A long screwdriver or wooden dowel works just as well.

nipper

#5 Jerry DeMoss

Jerry DeMoss

Pushrods 'O' Fury

• Members
  • 2,408 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

Are you sure it isn't piston slap?

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,594 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:06 PM

Are you sure it isn't piston slap?

Piston slap goes away once the engine warms up, and not in that RPM range. Also a 2002 shouldnt have slap.

Unfortunitly in that RPM range, it may be something dreadful.

Thats why i want him to get a stethoscope test.

nipper

#7 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,758 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:48 PM

Can't really reproduce the sound while stationary, it seems that the noise is loudest under load. Also, the knock is not deep and hollow. It doesn't sound like rod knock that I've heard before.

#8 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,758 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:56 PM

After spending more time with the noise, I think that it is at most RPMs, can't tell down low though.

Any ideas? I'm thinking it might be a loose heat shield or something.

#9 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,758 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

Dealer master tech took a ride with me a few months ago... Rod knock. We're just waiting until the engine lets go, or we get in a good enough place financially to take care of it.

#10 subaru360

subaru360

has no catchy title

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Fleetwood, PA

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

The 2.0 wrx is well known for spun rod bearings. Sorry yours did it. You can get a used shortblock cheap, lots of these cars get wrecked and parted out or upgraded to the 2.5 shortblock.

#11 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,758 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:32 PM

I had no idea they were known for spinning rod bearings. Do you have a link to somewhere where I can read more about this phenomenon?

#12 subaru360

subaru360

has no catchy title

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Fleetwood, PA

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:50 AM

I had no idea they were known for spinning rod bearings. Do you have a link to somewhere where I can read more about this phenomenon?

I can't think of a specific link, but if you search for something like "spun rod bearing" on www.nasioc.com you'll get a lot of hits. I put an egine in one over the summer with a spun bearing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users