Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a/c sensor?

anyone know what that "sensor" that bolts above the a/c compressor does? i think that it would measure the revolutions that the a/c is turning by sensing the little 'tangs' on the front of the compressor. when i bought the loyale it just layed back near the spare tire. i am 99% sure that is where it bolts. tired the a/c with it off (can't find the bolts and haven't been to the bone yard yet) and nothing. thanks

Good call Justy, that is exactly what it does.

The AC control unit looks for pulses coming from the sensor, if they are not "up to speed" so to speak, it will shut down the system. This is a protection system -should the compressor lock up the electromagnetic clutch disengages before the belt can break.

Hope this helps

yup, mine is pretty close, bracket is just a touch different i think. i was going to rob a couple of bolts of my justy parts car but didn't find the right ones right off. the littler one is a 10mm i think but has to have really short threads or it will hit the a/c housing. guess i'll just wait till i get to the bone yard. thanks all for your help :wave: