Ultimate Subaru Message Board

About Gettin more power out of my EA-82

Hey guys, I'm gonna make a new guide to tuning up the EA-82's

for the USRM.

So what I'm looking for is any tips and/or tricks that anyone has for these motors.

First of all, Specify what the tip is for (such as EA-82 turbo, EA-82 SPFI, MPFI or Carb [and what kind of carb])

Get back at me guys...

If you haven't already, check out the "EA performance page by Subiemech" on http://www.ultimatesubaru.org.

What I would strongly advise is a section detailing procedures and such that relate to the following subject:

These cars are old. Those 100,000 or 200,000 miles on your car have taken their toll on everything, and the best thing you can do to increase your performance is to first get everything performing like new. Here are some things that I can think of and I'm sure there are more.

-on carb models, disassemble and clean the carb thoroghly, and reassemble with a new gasket and accelerator pump

-put on a new coil (preferably high-voltage), cap and rotor, wires (preferably large-diameter), and plugs (stick with original NGK)

-run a bottle of Chevron fuel injector/carb cleaner in your gas for a couple of tankfuls and at every oil change thereafter. I know I've been talking this stuff up for some time, but it truly works wonders

-flush and refill cooling system, replace rad. if it's nasty. A cool engine is a happy engine, and a happy engine makes more power.

-change the fuel filter

-change the air filter and PCV filter (I'm not sure if fuel injected cars have this)

-change the PCV valve and clean out the hoses

-clean the EGR valve

-clean the AIS valve (procedure in USRM for replacement if necessary)

-change all gear lubes/ATF

-check things like compression and vacuum readings to make sure that all is well with things that you can't readily look at

Starting out with a car in which everything is clean, properly lubricated, and running right makes such a difference. Your car will be happier (I'm a firm believer in the spiritual aspect of car care) and it will want to go faster when it's not choked by dirty filters, contacts, or lubes.

I did some research before:

EA82 MPFI

custom air intake (or just a K&N filter)

spider intake manifold

advance timing

custom exhaust

better cam

port matching the exhaust

accel superstock coil

8mm plug wires, silicone jacket, supression core

NGK plugs gapped to .45 - .50

new cap and rotor

clean everything also

Turbo

custom intake (or K&N) & exhaust