Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 loyale is it worth $2500.00?

Looking at a 91 Loyale wagon, 4wd 5spd 170k. Car is in really good shape, body and interior very clean, runs and drives well, 4wd works. No leaks, no smoke etc.

PO agrees to having timing belts, water and oil pump replaced prior to sale for a total of$2500.

I've owned a lot of these old subies and love them, they're getting harder to find in decent shape.

Any thoughts/opinions welcome, Matt.

Last year I bought a 1994 loyale with 168k on it it was the cleanest old Soob I have ever seen. I paid $1700 for it and have since put another about $500 in it with new timing belts, oil pump, water pump, acc belts and tires, $2500 may be a little high. As with anything it is worth what people are paying not what a bluebook or NADA says. I am happy with what I paid for mine. You hear all of these stories about a $250 car but if you are happy paying that amount than who cares what anyone else says. Jason

that is a lot of money for that model car. an offer of 1500 to 1750 is more appropriate for that model in minty shape. 2500 will get you a nice impreza for that kind of money.

otherwise if this guy is asking such a price to cover the cost of timing belts, you may as well offer him less and take the car in its current mechanical state, and have the belts done later on your time or even do them yourself with a minimum of tools.

No.

Timing belts, water pump, and oil pump should cost no more than $500 to $600. About $200 in parts if you do it yourself, and an experienced mechanic can do them all in about 3 hours.

That leaves you with a 91 Loyale that's got 170k on it. Not worth even close to $2000.

Push-button single range is not desireable. Being a Loyale it's stripped down which makes it actually a bit less desireable than an 88 or 89 GL and there are plenty of those to be found for less with that many miles or fewer.

For the money you are looking at spending, get into a 90 to 94 Legacy. 92+ if you can. I got a wagon last year for $750 with only 135k on it because it needed a water pump. Cost me $190 in parts and 2 hours to fix. More power, more reliable, and more civilized than any EA series.

Pass.

GD

oh my, no way. terrible deal. for that money you can get a newer legacy - more reliable, less miles, WAY safer......larger brakes, heavier build, ABS (which i hate though, but you get an insurance break?!?!), air bags. and legacy's/impreza's are so much nicer than loyale's it's not even funny. they ride nicer and have much better trims/options (particularly the legacy's). legacy's and impreza's are easy to find for $1,000. for $2,000 you can be picky.

i picked up a loyale last year for a friend. 1991, manual, white, wagon. $600 with 120,000 miles. granted i did all the timing belt, water pump, pulleys, thermostat and tune up work - but that wouldn't cost nor is it worth $2,000.

the only thing about the loyale that's better is the transmission, you can get true locking 4WD. but the legacy is still safer and with snow tires you're golden if that's a concern.

Being a fan of the Loyales and other EA82 wagons...I would still have to say No Way!!! That thing better be in showroom condition and have next to no miles on it. I agree with the rest..for $2500 you can get a nice Lego or Impreza. Granted..I am in the market for an 87-89 EA82 wagon ( I want the D/R tranny) and have been suprised how the prices have gone up..but they are adveraging $1000-$1800 for a really nice one.

For reference, there was a '93 Loyale wagon 4wd w/79,000 miles on the Austin Craigslist this morning. It sounded like it was the original owner with all service records and the original window sticker. He was asking $2,000 and it was gone within 2 hours.

My own minty '93 wagon 2wd 3at w/165k miles cost me $1,300, though with new a/c, window tint, struts & mounts, and a few other odds and ends I have about $2,200 in it now.

So hang in there. The deals are out there.

Looking at a 91 Loyale wagon, 4wd 5spd 170k. Car is in really good shape, body and interior very clean, runs and drives well, 4wd works. No leaks, no smoke etc.

PO agrees to having timing belts, water and oil pump replaced prior to sale for a total of$2500.

I've owned a lot of these old subies and love them, they're getting harder to find in decent shape.

Any thoughts/opinions welcome, Matt.

No.... $1500 tops in my opinion... though you could get a legacy for that.... which is a better car.

Find a $500 loyale and reseal it yourself and get a nice car for under $1000 :banana:

Buy this is in no way a loyale gl dl bashing. Most of us have or have had these cars. They are good and quirky cars but i wouldnt pay that much. I got mine for 400 bucks and i the 2nd for free, both with 4wd.

Ben

Indeed... I miss my GL, and still they they are easier to work on than EJ's Richie and Aaron said I was crazy but I have done like 5 EA's and 1 EJ... just experience talking I guess :-\

Most of my GL's were $200-500 Later resold in more or less cherry shape mechanically and decent cosmetics for $1200-1500 average (around 160-240k on them)